If you experience issues opening PDF documents on this page using Internet Explorer, try using a different web browser.
(HANDBOOK 4000.1) INFORMATION PAGE
The Federal Housing Administration's (FHA) Single Family Housing Policy Handbook 4000.1 (Handbook 4000.1) is a consolidated, consistent, and comprehensive source of FHA Single Family Housing policy.
- Consolidated: Hundreds of FHA Handbooks, Mortgagee Letters, Housing Notices, and other policy documents have been consolidated into this single source. This eliminates the need for mortgagees and other stakeholders in FHA transactions to search through multiple stand-alone policy documents to find precise and current policy information.
- Consistent: Handbook 4000.1's consistent format of "Definition, Standard, and Documentation" supports greater understanding, easier use, and a better source for mortgagees to extend the wide range of FHA products and programs across a broader spectrum of eligible borrowers.
- Comprehensive: Handbook 4000.1 is a comprehensive source of Single Family Housing policy. Handbook 4000.1 currently has everything a lending entity needs to become FHA approved; to originate and receive an FHA insurance endorsement; to service; and to adhere to FHA's quality control policies for all Single Family products and programs.
Two Ways to Access the Handbook 4000.1
Stakeholders and the public can access the published sections of Handbook 4000.1 in two ways:
- FHA's Online Housing Policy Library, which contains: a fully searchable, online version of the Handbook 4000.1; a growing collection of supplemental documents; superseded Mortgagee Letters and other policy documents; and active Mortgagee Letters for policy not yet incorporated into Handbook 4000.1.
- Handbook 4000.1 in portable document format (PDF): a linear format similar to traditional FHA Handbooks, but with enhanced links, format, and structure to provide a comprehensive beginning-to-end view of FHA's published policies.
Handbook 4000.1 Supplemental Documents and Model Documents
Policy information referenced in, but supplemental to Handbook 4000.1 can always be found online:
- FHA's Handbook 4000.1 Supplemental Documents page contains the guides and other documents referenced in the Handbook 4000.1, such as the Single Family Housing Appraisal Report and Data Delivery Guide, the Claim Filing Technical Guide, and the Single Family Default Monitoring System Reporting Codes.
- Model Documents and 203(k) Rehabilitation Mortgage Insurance Program Sample Documents are accessible from FHA's Model Documents and 203(k) Sample Documents web pages, respectively.
Handbook 4000.1 Organizational Structure
Handbook 4000.1's organizational structure has five main categories that follow the logical flow of a mortgagee or lender's process. Click here to see where we are with our development work.
View FHA's self-paced, pre-recorded training webinars covering all Single Family products and programs within Handbook 4000.1. Access these webinars on the Single Family Pre-Recorded Training page.
Search by keyword at www.hud.gov/answers or send an email to email@example.com or call the FHA Resource Center at (800) CALL-FHA (225-5342). Emails and phone messages will be responded to during normal hours of operation, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday on all non-Federal holidays. Persons with hearing or speech impairment may access this number via TTY by calling the Federal Information Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.
Subscribe to receive FHA INFO announcements and SF NEWS about Mortgagee Letter issuances, procedure updates, and training & events via email. Research a list of all previous FHA INFO and SF NEWS in the: