Each year Congress sets aside funds within the Capital Fund appropriation to create a reserve for emergencies and natural disasters. Public Housing Agencies (PHAs) that confront an emergency situation or a natural disaster are eligible to apply for and receive funds from the reserve provided that they comply with certain requirements (example: funds provided because of a disaster are only available to the extent that needed repairs are in excess of reimbursement from insurance and other sources, such as other state and local funds). All final applications for emergency or natural disaster funding from the reserve require an independent cost estimate.
- (NEW) FY2018 Emergency Safety and Security Grant Awards
- FY18 Safety and Security Applications Due Monday, June 4, 2018; PHA Notification
- Notice PIH 2014-09: Emergency Safety and Security Grants Annual Funding Notification and Application Process
- Emergency Safety and Security Funding FAQ as of 3/1/2015
- PIH Notice 2013-10: Emergency Safety and Security Funding as it Relates to the Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2013 [Public Law 113-6]
- PIH 2012-48: HUD Funding for Non-Presidentially Declared Natural Disasters.
- PIH 2012-38: Emergency Safety and Security Funding as it Relates to the Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2012 [Public Law 112-36].
- Emergency Safety and Security Funding as it Relates to the Department of Defense and Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2011 [Public Law 112-10]
- Emergency Safety and Security Funding FAQ as of 10/17/2011
- Emergency/Natural Disaster application requirements
- Guidance on submitting "preliminary" natural disaster applications (September 9, 2004 letter)
- HUD announces the award of $7.9 million dollars to housing authorities to implement safety and security measures for FY11. To view the award listings, please click on the links below:
- PIH 2010-24 (HA): Emergency Safety and Security Funding as it Relates to the Omnibus Appropriations Act, 2009 [Public Law 111-8] and the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2010 [Public Law 111-117] - This Notice provides guidance to public housing agencies (PHAs) seeking Emergency Capital Needs funding for safety and security measures. This Notice provides instructions regarding the application and funding process for emergency safety and security funding.
HUDPIH-516391410-126 Updated September 25, 2018