What is Public Housing?
Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. Public housing comes in all sizes and types, from scattered single-family houses to high rise apartments for elderly families. There are approximately 1.2 million households living in public housing units, managed by some 3300 PHAs.
- Public Housing Fact Sheet
- Contact Your Local Housing Authority or HUD Field Office
- Strengthening Public Housing
Data Dashboard and Analytics
The PIH Information and Resource Center is staffed to answer questions/inquiries from the public and PHAs regarding public housing and housing choice voucher programs and regulations.
- PIH Customer Service Center (1-800-955-2232)
Public Housing Related Topics
- Public Housing Programs
- Public Housing Management and Occupancy Division (PHMOD)
- Fact Sheet on Naloxone(Narcan) in HCV Public Housing
Helpful Tools and Resources
- Publications, Data, and Reports
- Income Limits
- PIH Rules and Notices
- RCR – Resident Characteristic Report
- Housing Assistance for Refugees and Parolees