2021 HUD-VASH Registration of Interest
HUD is pleased to announce the 2021 HUD-VASH Registration of Interest Notice PIH-2021-21. This notice announces the availability of $49 million in HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) funding that will support approximately new HUD-VASH vouchers. These vouchers are administered in partnership with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and enable homeless veterans and their families to access affordable housing with an array of supportive services.
The HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) program combines HUD’s Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) rental assistance for homeless Veterans with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). VA provides these services for participating Veterans at VA medical centers (VAMCs), community-based outreach clinics (CBOCs), through VA contractors, or through other VA designated entities.
Congress has appropriated additional funding for new HUD-VASH vouchers every year since 2008:
Each year, HUD and VA have collaboratively awarded HUD-VASH vouchers based on current geographic need and public housing agency (PHA) performance. Since 2017, the allocation process for awarding HUD-VASH vouchers has changed to allow PHAs to self-identify their interest in the program. HUD publishes an annual HUD-VASH Registration of Interest Notice containing detailed instructions that PHAs must follow if they are interested in receiving a portion of the available HUD-VASH vouchers. PHAs must have the support of a partnering VA facility and meet any utilization threshold requirements to be eligible for an award. After the registration period has closed, HUD and VA use a formula to determine relative need, and ultimately invite eligible PHAs to apply for a specific number of HUD-VASH vouchers. The associated funding awarded for HUD-VASH vouchers is determined by the actual average per unit cost (PUC) at each PHA.
Total Number of HUD-VASH Vouchers by PHA 2008-2020 (PDF)
There is at least one PHA currently administering HUD-VASH in each of the 50 states, in the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and Guam.
HUD-VASH vouchers are renewed based on actual PHA leasing along with all other housing choice vouchers (HCV). Details of annual renewal funding and potential set-side fund opportunities can be found in the annual HCV Funding Notice.
Generally, the HUD-VASH program is administered in accordance with regular HCV and PBV program requirements (24 CFR Section 982 and 983 respectively). However, the 2008 Consolidated Appropriations Act (Public Law 110-161) allows HUD to waive or specify alternative requirements for any provision of any statute or regulation affecting the HCV program in order to effectively deliver and administer HUD-VASH voucher assistance. The alternative requirements are established in the HUD-VASH Operating Requirements (including the waivers and alternative requirements from HCV program rules), which were published in the Federal Register on May 6, 2008 and updated March 23, 2012. PHAs may also seek individual HUD-VASH waivers through the regular Field Office waiver process.
The Operating Requirements, notices related to HUD-VASH, and other helpful tools and resources are provided in the sections below.
PHAs should direct policy questions about HUD-VASH to their local PIH Field Office or to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Individuals seeking assistance through the HUD-VASH program should contact their local PHA or VA facility.
Related Notices and Guidance
HUD-VASH Registration of Interest Notice PIH-2021-21: This notice announces the availability of $49 million in HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) funding that will support approximately 6,000 new HUD-VASH vouchers, outlines the threshold criteria and allocation process for eligible PHAs interested in receiving HUD-VASH vouchers. A companion PowerPoint to this notice can be found under Tools and Resources.
HUD-VASH Guidance on Project Based Vouchers: As your PHA considers submitting a registration of interest, you, in conjunction with your partnering VA facility, may consider pursuing these additional vouchers with the strategic intention of using them as project-based vouchers (PBV). The purpose of this document is to provide information that may help your PHA determine if HUD-VASH PBVs are a viable option for your community and answer questions you may have about the PBV program.
- HUD-VASH Operating Requirements: This notice establishes the policies and procedures for the administration for the administration of tenant-based HCV and PBV rental assistance under the HUD-VASH program. In this second version of the HUD-VASH Operating Requirements published on March 23, 2012, HUD provides new and clarifying guidance on verification documentation, the addition of family members after the veteran is a participant in the HCV program, PHA termination of assistance, portability moves, reallocation of HUD-VASH vouchers, and Housing Quality Standards (HQS) initial inspections.
- Federal Register Notice - June 18, 2014: Technical correction that allows HUD-VASH families to live on the grounds of a VA facility in units developed to house homeless Veterans (waives 24 CFR 982.352(a)(5) and 983.53(a)(2)).
- Notice PIH 2017-21: Implementation Guidance: Housing Opportunity Through Modernization Act of 2016 (HOTMA) HOTMA authorizes PHAs to project-base HUD-VASH vouchers without requiring additional HUD approval. This notice supersedes HUD-VASH PBV notice PIH 2015–10. Specific requirements for HUD-VASH PBV can be found in Attachment M.
- Notice PIH 2011-53: Reporting and Portability Requirements for the HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) Program. The purpose of this notice is to revise and extend PIH Notice 2010-12. The revisions occur in section 2 (Operating Requirements) regarding Moving to Work (MTW) agencies, section 2.b. (Leasing and Ongoing Reporting) regarding portability, and section 3.d. (PHA Tracking) regarding Voucher Management System (VMS) reporting.
- Portability Attachment: This document may be attached to form HUD-52665, Family Portability Information, in cases where the HUD-VASH family is moving to another PHA's jurisdiction, but the family's case management services will be provided by the initial PHA's partnering VAMC
- PIH 2008-37: Reporting Requirements for the HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing Program
- HUD-VASH Questions and Answers: These Qs & As serve as a supplement to the HUD-VASH Operating Requirements published in the Federal Register on May 6 and 19, 2008.
- HUD-VASH PBV Set-Aside Notices (CLOSED)
- HUD-VASH Webinar, Building Community Partnerships to Effectively Serve Chronically Homeless Veterans: Below are the slides and video recording for the HUD-VASH webinar on September 20, 2012.
- HUD-VASH 101 Webinar: Below are the slides and video recording for the HUD-VASH webinar on January 24, 2012.
- HUD-VASH Satellite Broadcast 9-23-2010: Below are the materials related to the HUD-VASH satellite broadcast of September 23, 2010.
- HUD-VASH Satellite Broadcast 10-27-2009: Below are the materials discussed during the HUD-VASH satellite broadcast of October 27, 2009
- HUD-VASH Satellite Broadcast 02-10-2009: Below are the materials that were discussed during the HUD-VASH satellite broadcast of February 10, 2009.
Tools and Resources
- 2021 HUD-VASH Registration of Interest Companion PowerPoint: This PowerPoint serves a companion guide for PIH Notice 2021-21 published on July 14, 2021.
- Materials for Landlords and Landlord Recruitment
- VHA Directive 1162.05(1): The VHA’s directive revises VHA policy and procedures for implementing the HUD-VASH program (amended October 2017)
- Letter to PHAs Highlighting Tool to Improve Utilization of HUD-VASH - This letter from the former Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary gives an overview of tools available to HUD-VASH PHAs to improve HUD-VASH leasing.
- HUD-VASH Reference Guide - This two-page document provides an easy-to-read overview of the unique requirements that govern the voucher side of the HUD-VASH program.
- HUD-VASH Best Practices - Version 1.0: The purpose of this document is to spread the word about effective strategies for administering HUD-VASH, as well as highlight the innovation and dedication of HUD-VASH sites and our partners in the field. It summarizes the most unique and innovative practices submitted by PHAs and VAMCs in response to a request for the submission of best practices sent out via the HUD-VASH listserv in the fall of 2011.
- HUD-VASH Leasing Schedule Templates: The first document below provides leasing schedule templates that partnering PHAs and VAMCs have the option of using for their 12-month leasing schedules. The second document provides template instructions and a glossary of terms used in the templates.
- HUD-VASH listserv: Click here to sign up for the HUD-VASH listserv in order to receive periodic news and information related to the program
- HUD-VASH Resource Guide: The VA has developed this in-depth guide mainly for VA Case Managers. However, the information provided may also be helpful for PHAs and other entities that support the HUD-VASH program. The guide can be found on the VA’s HUD-VASH page here: https://www.va.gov/HOMELESS/HUD-VASH.asp.
HUD-VASH Contact Information
The following links to other Federal and community websites may provide additional information on assisting Veterans that are homeless or at-risk of becoming homeless: