Form HUD-52665 updated. Technical correction to the instruction in Part II-B, line 10.b: reference to Part I, line 10 has been replaced with reference to Part I, line 11.
Portability Mailbox: please note that the portability mailbox (email@example.com) is no longer operational. Portability questions can be directed to the local HUD PIH Field Office.
"Portability" in the HCV program refers to the process through which the family can transfer or "port" their rental subsidy when they move to a location outside the jurisdiction of the public housing agency (PHA) that first gave them the voucher when they were selected for the program.
New families may not be able to port immediately; they may have to live in the jurisdiction of the initial PHA for a year before they can port. Initial PHAs may allow moves during this one-year period.
- Initial PHAs -The PHA that first gave the voucher to the individual when they were selected for the program.
- Receiving PHAs- The agency that will administer assistance in the area to which the individual moves.
- CY 2022 Portability Administrative Fee Description: this document discusses administrative fee proration for portability billing purposes. File last updated January of 2023.
Related Notices, Regulations, and Other Information
Portability Regulations: found at 24 CFR 982.353-355. On August 20, 2015, HUD published the final portability rule “Public Housing and Section 8 Programs: Housing Choice Voucher Program: Streamlining the Portability Process.” The rule revised portability regulations and provisions relating to family briefings (24 CFR 982.301) and suspension of the term of the voucher (24 CFR 982.303). Technical changes were also made to other sections of Part 982.
Notices and Other Guidance
- Family Moves Notice (PIH 2016–09) (June 6, 2016): Amends PIH 2012-42
- PIH Notice 2016-08 - Inventory Management System/PIH Information Center (IMS/PIC) Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Reporting and FSS Program Portability Provisions - The purpose of this notice is to provide information to PHAs on how to improve the accuracy of the FSS information submitted into IMS/PIC.
- Portability Letter to PHAs, September 15, 2015
- Disaster Alternative Portability Guidance
(The PHA Portability Status List is located under ‘Highlights” on the Office of Housing Choice Vouchers webpage).
- Form HUD-52665: the portability form was recently updated to conform to the provisions of the final portability rule and to add other clarifying items.
- Training on PIH 2016-09: June, 2016
- PIH 2016-09 Training Slide Deck: This training slide deck has been recently updated to change the contact information for questions. This is the only change made to this slide deck
- PIH Notice 2016-08 (WEBINAR): Eight-part webinar discussing PIH Notice 2016-08, May 6, 2016
- Final Portability Rule Webcast: Friday, August 28, 2015, 10:30AM EST
- Final Portability Rule Training Slide Deck: This training slide deck has been recently updated to change the contact information for questions. This is the only change made to this slide deck