Home / Program Offices / Public and Indian Housing / Centers / Special Applications Center (SAC) / Public Housing Property Damaged or Destroyed by Casualty Loss or Natural Disaster


Public Housing Property Damaged or Destroyed by Casualty Loss or Natural Disaster


When structures (dwelling or non-dwelling buildings) on public housing property are damaged by a casualty loss or natural disaster, a PHA may take action on the damaged structures without obtaining prior advance HUD approval under 24 CFR part 970, but only to the extent necessary to maintain the property in a safe condition. 


When structures (dwelling or non-dwelling buildings) on public housing property are destroyed (e.g., razed to the ground and destroyed to the extent that it meets the definition of demolition at 24 CFR 970.5) by a casualty loss or natural disaster, the PHA must submit an “after-the-fact” SAC application to ensure IMS/PIC records and HUD funding are accurate. 



Natural disaster is defined in 24 CFR 905.108 as “[a]n extraordinary event, such as an earthquake, flood, or hurricane, affecting only one or few PHAs, but excluding presidentially declared emergencies and major disasters under the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act.” Per 24 CFR 990.145, PHAs can request their local Office of Public Housing put such units into the Natural disaster Sub-Category in PIC during the period between the date a unit becomes uninhabitable until the unit is either rehabilitated or approved for demolition and/or disposition in accordance with 24 CFR part 970, up to three years.


If residents face an imminent health/safety risk based on damage or destruction to their units due to a natural disaster or casualty loss, the PHA should take steps to protect the residents by immediately relocating them. Depending on the situation, the PHA may use one or more of the following to immediately relocate the residents:

  • Other available public housing units (in compliance with its occupancy policy regarding mandatory moves);
  • Section 8 vouchers from its existing HCV resources (in compliance with its Section 8 Admin Plan);
  • Section 8 vouchers through an award of tenant-protection vouchers (TPVs) from HUD.*
    In cases of imminent health and safety, PHAs are eligible to apply for (and receive) TPVs from HUD immediately after they submit a SAC application. In this case, PHAs should follow the relocation requirements of 24 CFR part 970.
  • Temporary housing (including assistance from FEMA).

If PHAs relocate residents into temporary housing or other housing that does not meet the criteria of comparable housing of 24 CFR 970, the PHA must reach out to those residents and offer them comparable housing under 24 CFR 970 as part of its implementation of the Section 18 application approval. On a case-by-case basis, TPVs may be available for vacant units that were vacated on an emergency basis due to imminent health and safety risks.


*If TPVs are being used in an area with known environmental hazards such as a Superfund or Formerly Used Defense site, this might be considered extraordinary circumstances and require an Environmental Assessment. HUD’s approval of a Section 18 application that involves relocation and displacement of residents from occupied public housing developments requires an Environmental Assessment be prepared prior to a Section 18 approval that would enable such relocation.



All applications must be made electronically through PIC. The application is subject to all Section 18 application requirements when submitting documentation to HUD.

Required Forms:

See Section 18 Application Checklist

The following exceptions are not required for submission:

  • PHA Plan
  • Local government consultation
  • Resident and Resident Group Consultation
  • Board Resolution
  • Letter of support from local government
  • FHEO Review (usually required for dwelling structures)

About SAC

Special Applications Center • US Department of Housing and Urban Development
77 W. Jackson Blvd., Room 2401, Chicago, IL 60604-3507
Phone: 312-353-6236  • Email: SACTA@HUD.gov  • Fax: 312-913-8892  • Staff Directory