This page is designed to answer frequently asked questions on the housing rights of people with disabilities and the responsibilities of housing providers and building and design professionals under federal law.
- People with Disabilities
- Housing Providers
- Final Rule on Assistance Animals
- Reasonable Accommodations Guidance
- HUD and the Department of Justice Released New Guidance on "Reasonable Modifications" under the Fair Housing Act. Read the press release.
- New Design and Construction Safe Harbor HUD publishes final rule amending its Fair Housing Act regulations to reference the 2003 edition of the American National Standards Instituteās Standard for Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities, along with nine other safe harbors for compliance with the Fair Housing Actās accessibility requirements. This final rule follows a July 18, 2007 proposed rule and takes into consideration the public comments received on the proposed rule. Read the rule.
- Realizing the Potential: Expanding Housing Opportunities Near Transit a study funded by HUD and the Federal Transit Administration and completed by Reconnecting Americaās Center for Transit-Oriented Development examines five case study regions to better understand the proactive strategies being undertaken to create and preserve affordable housing near transit.
- Read the HUD letter about the Money Follows the Person Rebalancing Initiative included in the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 (DRA) being implemented by the Centers for Medicare Medicaid Services (CMS).
- HUD releases the Section 504 Self-Evaluation Draft Report.
- HUD study shows people with disabilities face discrimination in up to half of rental inquiries. Read More.