Buying a Home
Thinking about buying a home? We have information that can help! Got questions? Talk to one of our housing counselors!
1. Figure out how much you can affordWhat you can afford depends on your income, credit rating, current monthly expenses, downpayment and the interest rate.
2. Know your rights
- Fair Housing: Equal Opportunity for All - brochure
- Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA)
- Borrower's rights
- Predatory lending
3. Shop for a loan
- Looking for the best mortgage: shop, compare, negotiate - brochure
- Let FHA help you
- Learn about interest only loans
4. Learn about homebuying programs
- Homebuying programs in your state
- Let FHA help you (FHA loan programs offer lower downpayments and are a good option for first-time homebuyers!)
- HUD's special homebuying programs
5. Shop for a home
- Wish list - what features do you want?
- Home-shopping checklist? take this list with you when comparing homes
- Homes for sale (including HUD homes)
- Fixer-Uppers - home purchase and repair programs
- Manufactured (mobile) homes
- Shopping for a Home FAQ’s
6. Make an offer
7. Get a home inspection
8. Shop for homeowners insurance
9. Sign papers You're finally ready to go to "settlement" or "closing." Be sure to read everything before you sign!