HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants. To apply, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interests you.
- Search for a subsidized apartment
- Wisconsin Housing Search - A free, state online resource for renters and property managers in Wisconsin. The dynamic search options allow you to find affordable, accessible and market-rate housing that will fit your needs.
Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)
To apply for either type of help, visit your local Public Housing Agency (PHA).
- 211 - Call 2-1-1 to be connected to local health and human service assistance.
- COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance Programs
In response to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, state and local organizations are distributing federal rental assistance in their communities. The money can help landlords and renters who are struggling to keep up with rent and other bills. Many programs take applications from both landlords and renters. Use the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s tool to find the most up-to-date information on local rental assistance programs.
Community Action Coalition https://www.cacscw.org/ Community Action Agencies across the State provide a variety of services, including but not limited to, Rental/Mortgage Assistance, Food, Energy Utility Bill Assistance, Water/Sewer Payment, Employment Training/Placement, Financial Management, and Temporary Shelter.
- Milwaukee Metropolitan Housing Inventory
- Help with your utility bills
- Find rural units for rent
- Independent living centers - for seniors and people with disabilities
- HOME contacts
- Tenant rights, laws and protections