Eviction Prevention Help
Need help paying your rent?
Housing Counseling and Legal Resources.
If you need guidance on renting, eviction prevention, buying a home, defaults, foreclosures, or credit issues, use the links below to find a HUD participating housing counseling agency.
- For information related to the Emergency Rental Assistance Program, COVID-19 eviction moratoria, and other guidance, visit the HUD Exchange, Rental Housing Counseling, and Eviction Prevention.
- The nationwide network of HUD participating housing counseling agencies have been helping customers across America for more than 50 years by providing answers needed to make informed housing decisions. To find a housing counseling agency near you, click this link, HUD.gov Housing Counseling.
- HUD’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO) provides information to landlords and tenants about fair housing regulations related to eviction. To learn more, click this link HUD.gov/FHEO/Eviction. The information is provided in English and Spanish.
Local Legal Resources
- The Virginia Poverty Law Center provides information about financial rent assistance and guidance on asking your landlord for a payment plan.
- Virginia Legal Aid Society also provides legal counseling on eviction laws to renters.
- The Eviction Legal Helpline provides those facing eviction or lease termination with free legal information, specific legal advice from an attorney, and referrals to other providers or services
To obtain information about eviction laws by state, go to the Legal Services Corporation’s Evictions Laws Database website.
Do you think you are being discriminated against?
If you think you are the victim of illegal discrimination, you can contact HUD’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO). Please follow the instructions listed below to file a complaint with FHEO by phone or online.
- How to file a complaint using the internet: FHEO File A Complaint
- How to file a complaint by phone: You can speak with an FHEO intake specialist by calling 1-800-669-9777 or 1-800-877-8339.
For more information, visit HUD.gov/FHEO/Eviction.
Eviction Prevention Tools for Landlords with Tenants Impacted my CVOID-19:
Eviction Prevention resources, tools, and training for landlords seeking information can be found by clicking the links below:
- Tools for Landlords with Tenants Impacted by COVID-19
- Tenant Guidance: Rent Repayment Plans, and
- HUD’s Best Practices for Housing Choice Voucher landlords.
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), Eviction Prevention Tools for Private Landlords
- Visit the CFPB’s Rental Assistance Finder to find information on rental assistance programs in your area.
- The CFPB has guidance for getting rental assistance or forbearance to help with mortgage payments.
Supportive Services and Additional Resources
For additional help accessing supportive services, please click the links listed below:
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, or call 866-674-6327,
- Help Paying Your Utility Bills
- Dial 211 or visit 211.org for information on emergency financial assistance, or
- Find your local Community Action Agency.
- Additional HUD resources by state and territory can be found here.