Home / State Information / Vermont / Rental Help / Eviction Prevention Help
Eviction Prevention Help

Need help paying your rent?

HUD is working to connect tenants behind on rent and utilities with financial assistance (due to a loss of income because of COVID-19) with local rental assistance programs. Please refer to the information below to learn more about local eviction prevention resources.

The Vermont Emergency Rental Assistance program (VERAP): Eligible tenants can apply for financial assistance to be paid directly to their landlord or utility provider. Financial assistance includes rent and utility arrears for the period beginning April 2020 and up to 3 months of forward rent and prepaid fuel utility assistance. Utilities include gas, electric, water, sewage/wastewater, fuel (propane, wood, etc.) and trash. You may apply for utility assistance even if you are not applying for rental assistance.

For more information and applying, please follow the following link: Vermont Emergency Rental Assistance Program

Housing Counseling and Legal Resources.

If you need guidance on renting, eviction prevention, buying a home, defaults, foreclosures, or credit issues, use the links below to find a HUD participating housing counseling agency.

  • For information related to the Emergency Rental Assistance Program, COVID-19 eviction moratoria, and other guidance, visit the HUD Exchange, Rental Housing Counseling, and Eviction Prevention.
  • The nationwide network of HUD participating housing counseling agencies have been helping customers across America for more than 50 years by providing answers needed to make informed housing decisions. To find a housing counseling agency near you, visit HUD.gov Housing Counseling.
  • HUD’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO) provides information to landlords and tenants about fair housing regulations related to eviction. To learn more, visit HUD.gov/FHEO/Eviction. The information is provided in English and Spanish.
  • Vermont Legal Aid provides legal counseling on eviction prevention to renters in Vermont.
  • Vermont Human Rights Commission also provides legal counseling on eviction laws to renters.
  • CVOEO Vermont Tenants Rights & Resources can offer answers to general questions about evictions and your rights as a tenant.
  • To obtain information about eviction laws by state, go to the Legal Services Corporation’s Evictions Laws Database website.

Do you think you are being discriminated against?

If you think you are the victim of illegal discrimination, you can contact HUD’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO). Please follow the instructions listed below to file a complaint with FHEO by phone or online.

  • How to file a complaint using the internet: FHEO File a Complaint
  • How to file a complaint by phone: You can speak with an FHEO intake specialist by calling (617) 994-8320 or (800) 669-9777 or (800) 877-8339.
  • How to file a complaint via email: Complaints01@hud.gov

For more information, visit HUD.gov/FHEO/Eviction.

Eviction Prevention Tools for Landlords with Tenants Impacted my CVOID-19:

Eviction Prevention resources, tools, and training for landlords seeking information can be found by clicking the links below:

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), Eviction Prevention Tools for Private Landlords


Supportive Services and Additional Resources

For additional help accessing supportive services, please click the links listed below: