Home / State Information / South Dakota / Rental Help / Eviction Prevention Help
Eviction Prevention Help

Need help paying your rent?

HUD is working to connect tenants behind on rent and utilities with financial assistance (due to a loss of income because of COVID-19) with local rental assistance programs. Please refer to the information below to learn more about local eviction prevention resources.

  • The South Dakota CARES Housing Assistance Program If you have been financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and are struggling to pay your rent, you can contact South Dakota CARES to learn more about the rental assistance program; click this hyperlink, SD CARES Housing Assistance Program | SDHDA.

Housing Counseling and Legal Resources.
If you need guidance on renting, eviction prevention, buying a home, defaults, foreclosures, or credit issues, use the links below to find a HUD participating housing counseling agency.

  • For information related to the Emergency Rental Assistance Program, COVID-19 eviction moratoria, and other guidance, visit the HUD Exchange, Rental Housing Counseling, and Eviction Prevention.
  • The nationwide network of HUD participating housing counseling agencies have been helping customers across America for more than 50 years by providing answers needed to make informed housing decisions. To find a housing counseling agency near you, click this link, HUD.gov Housing Counseling.
  • HUD’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO) provides information to landlords and tenants about fair housing regulations related to eviction. To learn more, click this link HUD.gov/FHEO/Eviction. The information is provided in English and Spanish.

Here are some resources that can provide legal assistance on foreclosure, renting, homeownership and other laws in South Dakota.

Do you think you are being discriminated against?
If you think you are the victim of illegal discrimination, you can contact HUD’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO). Please follow the instructions listed below to file a complaint with FHEO by phone or online.

  • How to file a complaint using the internet: FHEO File A Complaint
  • How to file a complaint by phone: You can speak with an FHEO intake specialist by calling 1-303-672-5437.

For more information, visit HUD.gov/FHEO/Eviction.

Eviction Prevention Tools for Landlords with Tenants Impacted my CVOID-19:
Eviction Prevention resources, tools, and training for landlords seeking information can be found by clicking the links below:

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), Eviction Prevention Tools for Private Landlords

Supportive Services and Additional Resources
For additional help accessing supportive services, please click the links listed below: