Rental Help: New Jersey
HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants. To apply, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interests you.
Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)
To apply for either type of help, visit your local Public Housing Agency (PHA).
Some PHAs have long waiting lists, so you may want to apply at more than one PHA. Your PHA can also give you a list of locations at which your voucher can be used.
Other New Jersey Resources
- Local tenant rights, laws and protections
- Housing resources for seniors
- Help with your utility bills
- Rental assistance programs
- Find units for rent in rural New Jersey
- Independent living centers - for seniors and people with disabilities
- Search for Federal Tax Credit rental housing
- New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency (NJHMFA) - ask your state housing agency if you qualify for one of their programs
- New Jersey Division of Housing and Community Resources (DHCR) - ask about affordable rental housing programs
- New Jersey Guide to Affordable Housing
- New Jersey Homelessness Prevention Program
- US Department of Agriculture Rural Housing Service offers rental assistance for elderly, disabled, or low-income rural residents of multi-unit housing buildings.