Home / State Information / Michigan / Homeownership / Homeowner Repair and Rehabilitation Assistance
Michigan Homeowner Repair and Rehabilitation Assistance

There are several homeowner repair and rehabilitation programs available based on your individual circumstances. These programs are offered by a variety of organizations (local and national). These links provide a sample of the programs individuals, families, public, and non-profit organizations may access to preserve or improve existing single family housing. Please note that this listing is not comprehensive and the local building or community development office may have additional resources. The Michigan Economic Development Corporation has put together a resource guide that provides information on different programs throughout the state. The University of Michigan has put together a more focused Detroit Home Repair Resource Guide for the city of Detroit.

  • Michigan Home Repairs/State Emergency Relief - can assist with home repairs needed to remedy unsafe living conditions and repair essential home systems. This program offers repairs for the furnace, hot water heaters, and septic systems as well as non energy-related repairs.  Apply through MiBridges
  • Habitat for Humanity Home Preservation Program - offers home repairs for low-income homeowners who need help with home maintenance as a result of either physical or financial hardship. While this is a Habitat for Humanity program, local Habitat for Humanity organizations oversee the applications and completion of projects. In some cases, an affordable loan is made to the homeowner, and their payments are then placed in a revolving fund used to fund other Home Preservation repairs
  • Weatherization Programs - Provides home energy conservation services to low-income homeowners and renters. Can be used for wall insulation, attic insulation, foundation insulation, air leakage reduction caulking, weather stripping of leaky doors, repairing windows, smoke detectors, compact fluorescent light bulbs, furnace and hot water heater repair or replacement. For more information contact your local Community Action Agency.
  • Local Homeowner Repair Programs - Several Community Action Agencies throughout Michigan offer a Homeowner Repair Program to assist homeowners make repairs and improvements to their homes. Program eligibility is based on income. Eligible improvements include furnace, roof, plumbing and electrical repairs, as well as upgrading kitchens, bathrooms, etc. The program may require a lien or mortgage to be placed on the property. Contact your local Community Action Agency to find out if a program exists in your area.
  • USDA Single Family Home Ownership Loans - A USDA program to provide safe, well-built affordable homes for rural Americans. Families and individuals in rural areas and communities of 20,000 or less population with qualifying incomes are able to use this program to buy, build, improve, repair or rehabilitate rural homes as a permanent residence. Loans are available up to 100% market value and are amortized over 33 years. Depending on income, the applicant may be eligible for payment assistance on the loan. For more information contact the USDA RD State Office, 3001 Coolidge Road, #200, East Lansing, MI 48823.
  • USDA Single Family Home Repair Loans and Grants - A USDA program to help very low-income applicants remove health and safety hazards, make essential repairs or make accessible for residents with disabilities. Families and individuals in rural areas and communities of 20,000 or less population with qualifying incomes are able to use this program to winterize, purchase or repair a heating system, structural repair, water/sewage connection fees, and similar uses. Loans terms are up to 20 years at 1.0% interest. For more information contact the USDA RD State Office, 3001 Coolidge Road, #200, East Lansing, MI 48823.
  • Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) Property Improvement Program - A MSHDA program to assist qualified homeowners make repairs and improvements to their primary residences. The improvements must substantially protect or improve the basic livability or utility of the home. Major systems repairs/replacement and energy efficiency updates are allowed. PIP Loans are offered through MSHDA-approved participating lenders or community agents.
  • Neighborhood Impact Program (NIP) - A program designed to help preserve property values in local communities. NIP assists existing homeowners with incomes at or below 80% area median income rehabilitate their homes. Funds can be used for repairs such as new windows, furnaces, roofs, siding and other deferred maintenance type repairs. NIP Members may work with the homeowner directly or through one or more local housing organizations. NIP grants can be up to $10,000. To find out more contact one of the participating members or contact FHLBank Indianapolis Community Investment Department at 800-688-6697.
  • Accessibility Modifications Program - A program designed to provide accessibility modifications to homeowners with a permanent disability to help keep people in their homes. Eligible modifications include items such as grab bars, ramps, roll-in showers, and widened doorways. Up to $15,000 in grant funding for accessibility modifications may be available. To find out more contact one of the participating members or contact FHLBank Indianapolis Community Investment Department at 800-688-6697.
  • Michigan Lead Safe Home Program - Offers lead testing and lead hazard control services with grants to qualifying families. To qualify a family must have a child under 6-years old or a pregnant female living in the home; live in the counties of Genesee, Ingham, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Kent, Lenawee, Macomb, Oakland, Saginaw, or the city of Detroit or elsewhere if your child has a lead level of five or above; are a low- or moderate-income family; live in a home built before 1978; and own or rent the home. The program provides free lead inspection/risk assessment on homes. Additionally, lead hazard control work which may include new windows, doors, and special cleaning and painting. Contact MDHHS with questions: Michigan Lead Safe Home Program, PO Box 30195, Lansing, MI 48909, 866-691-5323.
  • Home Energy Loan Program - Provides loans for energy efficiency and renewable energy improvements. Homeowners (can be a secondary home), or for 1-4 unit properties where one unit is owner-occupied that meet qualifications can choose from a list of qualified improvements such as new windows and doors, new air conditioners or furnaces, or even new appliances. For more information contact Michigan Saves at 230 N. Washington Sq, #300, Lansing, MI 48933, 517-484-6474 or by email at info@michigansaves.org
  • Home Repairs & Neighborhood Revitalization - Provides weatherization, critical home repairs, and home preservation services to homeowners in select communities across the state of Michigan. Homeowners should contact the affiliate in their area for program offerings and eligibility requirements.
  • FHA Energy Efficient Mortgage (EEM) - As a new or current homeowner, you may be able to use FHA's EEM to finance the cost of home improvements such as replacing a furnace/cooling system, fixing or replacing a chimney, insulating an attic, etc. Go online to find a list of HUD-approved lenders, such as a bank, credit union, or mortgage.
  • VA Home Improvement and Structural Alterations (HISA) Grant - Grant to provide medically necessary improvements and structural alterations to Veterans/Servicemembers' primary residence for several purposes.
  • VA Housing Grant for Disabled Veterans - VA provides grants to Servicemembers and Veterans with certain permanent and total service-connected disabilities to help purchase or construct an adapted home, or modify an existing home to accommodate a disability.