Home / State Information / Maine / Rental Help
Rental Help: Maine

COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance Programs

In response to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, state and local organizations are distributing federal rental assistance in their communities. This money can help landlords and renters who are struggling to keep up with rent and other bills.

In the State of Maine, MaineHousing in collaboration with local Community Action Agencies distribute these Emergency Rental Assistance funds. Learn more about this assistance program, including eligibility requirements and the documents you will need to apply.

Other Rental Assistance Programs

  • Community Action Agencies - Community Action Agencies across the State provide a variety of services, including but not limited to, Rental/Mortgage Assistance, Food, Energy and Utility Bill Assistance, Water/Sewer Payment, Employment Training/Placement, Financial Management, and Temporary Shelter.
  • 211 – Call 2-1-1 to be connected to local health and human service assistance.
  • General Assistance - General Assistance helps individuals and families to meet their basic needs, you may be eligible for General Assistance if you do not have the income or resources to meet your own basic needs. You can apply in person for General Assistance at your local municipal office. If you have further questions, please call 1-800-442-6003.

Local tenant rights, laws and protections – Find information about landlord-tenant issues, your rights and responsibilities, and resources across Maine, including eviction prevention programs such as:

HUD-assisted and affordable apartments

HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants. To apply contact or visit the management office of each apartment that interests you.

  • HUD Resource Locator - Search for affordable housing opportunities, public housing authorities, homeless services, and other resources near you.
  • Maine Housing Search - Free, online resource for renters and property providers in Maine. Search for affordable, accessible, and market-rate housing that will fit your needs and budget.

Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)

To apply for either type of help, visit your local Public Housing Agency (PHA).

The State of Maine also has a centralized waiting list for vouchers for many of the Public Housing Agencies in the state. To find out more about applying for the centralized voucher waiting list please click here.

Need advice?

Other Maine Resources

  • Help with your utility bills
  • Find rural units for rent - The USDA subsidizes properties and provides rental assistance to properties in rural communities across the country
  • Centers for Independent Living (CIL) - CILs are local not-for-profit service and advocacy organizations. CILs are non-residential, community based, cross-disability organizations that provide a variety of independent living services. You may also call (800) 587-1227.
  • Low Income Housing Tax Credit units
  • HOME contacts - The HOME program provides grants to state and units of general local government to implement local housing strategies designed to increase homeownership and affordable housing opportunities for low and very low-income Americans.

If you believe your rights may have been violated or are a victim of housing discrimination, we encourage you to submit a complaint. Because there are time limits on when a complaint can be filed with HUD after an alleged violation, you should submit a complaint as soon as possible. You may file a complaint online, call us toll-free at (800) 827-5005, or email Complaints_office_01@hud.gov