Know your responsibilities as a tenant. Read your lease agreement carefully!
Tenant Rights and Responsibilities
Resources in Chicago
Legal Assistance and Resources
- General and Statewide
- Illinois Legal Aid Online: Free, easy to understand legal advice (find “Housing & Apartment” under “Resources”)
- Eviction Help Illinois or (855) 621-0811: Free legal aid, mediation services, and connections to other resources including rental assistance to increase housing stability. Mediation is an opportunity for landlords and tenants to resolve issues the help of a knowledgeable and neutral person.
- Illinois COVID H.E.L.P. (Housing & Economic Loss Prevention): Free online tool for people in Illinois who are facing housing, unemployment, and other economic problems because of COVID-19. It provides reliable legal information on the most common legal concerns caused by the pandemic, supported by nonprofit legal aid organizations across the state.
- Prairie State Legal Services (Central and Northern Illinois)
- Land of Lincoln Legal Aid (Central and Southern Illinois) or (877) 342-7891
- HOPE Fair Housing Center (Northern Illinois) or (630) 690-6500
- Chicago Area Legal Assistance and Resources
- If you believe your rights may have been violated or are a victim of housing discrimination, we encourage you to submit a complaint. Because there are time limits on when a complaint can be filed with HUD after an alleged violation, you should submit a complaint as soon as possible. You may file a complaint online, call us toll-free at (800) 669-9777 or (800) 877-8339, or email ComplaintsOffice05@hud.gov.
- Want advice on buying a home, renting, default, foreclosure avoidance, credit issues or reverse mortgages? HUD sponsors housing counseling agencies throughout the country to provide free or low cost advice. Search online for a housing counseling agency near you, or call HUD's interactive voice system at: (800) 569-4287. You can also search for HUD-approved Housing Counseling Agencies by Zip Code using the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s website.