Home / State Information / Illinois / Rental Help
Rental Help: Illinois
Tenant Rights      Utility Bills

COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance Programs

In response to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) program makes funding available to states, U.S. territories, local governments, Indian tribes or Tribally Designated Housing Entities, and the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands to assist households that are unable to pay rent or utilities. You can find a listing of rental assistance programs funded by the ERA program on the U.S. Department of Treasury's website.

Other Rental Assistance Programs

  • Community Action Agencies - Community Action Agencies across the State provide a variety of services, including but not limited to, Rental/Mortgage Assistance, Food, Energy Utility Bill Assistance, Water/Sewer Payment, Employment Training/Placement, Financial Management, and Temporary Shelter.
  • Help Illinois Families - Programs for eligible Illinoisans seeking emergency assistance to cover costs of utility bills, rent, temporary shelter, food, and other household necessities.
  • Illinois Department of Human Services - Call “Help is Here” at 1-833-2-FIND-HELP (1-833-234-6343) and be connected to the Homeless Prevention Program, which provides rental/mortgage assistance, and utility assistance to eligible individuals and families who are in danger of eviction, foreclosure or homelessness or are currently homeless. You can also be connected with food, medical, shelter, recovery, and other resources.
  • 211 - Call 2-1-1 to be connected to local health and human service assistance.

HUD-assisted and affordable apartments
HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants. To apply, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interests you.

Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)
To apply for either type of help, visit your local Public Housing Agency (PHA).

Some PHAs have long waiting lists, so you may want to apply at more than one PHA. Your PHA can also give you a list of locations at which your voucher can be used.

Local tenant rights, laws and protections - Know your rights as a tenant and protections available to you. Find information about landlord-tenant issues, your responsibilities, and resources across Illinois

Need advice?

Other Illinois Resources

If you believe your rights may have been violated or are a victim of housing discrimination, we encourage you to submit a complaint. Because there are time limits on when a complaint can be filed with HUD after an alleged violation, you should submit a complaint as soon as possible. You may file a complaint online, call us toll-free at (800) 669-9777 or (800) 877-8339, or email ComplaintsOffice05@hud.gov.