Want to know more about your state and your community? Check these sources.
HUD Research Resources
- American Housing Survey - The American Housing Survey is sponsored by HUD and conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau. The survey has been the most comprehensive national housing survey in the United States since its inception in 1973.
- HUD User Datasets - HUD provides interested researchers with access to the original data sets generated by HUD’s Office of Policy Development & Research.
- HUD Geospatial Data Storefront - One-stop shop where users can search for and discover HUD's geospatial datasets, web-based mapping tools, and application programming interfaces (APIs).
- HUD Exchange - Program information, guidance, services, and tools to HUD's community partners, including state and local governments, nonprofit organizations, Continuums of Care (CoCs), Public Housing Authorities (PHAs), tribes, and partners of these organizations.
- HUD Point-In-Time Count (PIT) and Housing Inventory Count (HIC) Data & Reports - HUD provides PIT count reports of sheltered and unsheltered persons experiencing homelessness, by household type and subpopulation. HUD also provides HIC reports, which provide a snapshot of a Continuum of Care’s inventory of beds and units available on the night designated for the count by program type.
- Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Data Dashboard - The HCV Data Dashboard shows budget and leasing trends, reserve balances, attrition and leasing potential for the program nationally and allows the user to drill down to the state level, as well as a current snapshot of utilization for HUD’s special purpose voucher programs.
- HUD Resource Locator
- CART – Community Assessment Reporting Tool - CART is a reference tool designed by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development to display HUD's investments in communities across the United States.
- Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing (AFFH) Mapping Tool
Other Research Resources
- Census Data - The Census Bureau is the leading source of quality data about the nation's people and economy.
- Census Bureau Housing Data - The Census Bureau’s housing data present a comprehensive picture of housing in America, including data on the size, age and type of American homes; home values, rents and mortgages, the housing and construction industry, and more.
- Data.gov - Here you will find data, tools, and resources to conduct research, develop web and mobile applications, design data visualizations, and more.
- USA Spending - USAspending.gov is the official source for spending data for the U.S. Government.
- Federal Housing Finance Agency Data
- EPA Open Data
- SBA Data - This is the home of the U.S. Small Business Administration's open data. Here you will find data, reports, and other tools from across SBA.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- U.S. Department of Commerce Bureau of Economic Analysis
- National Bureau of Economic Research Data Archive - Mix of public use economic, demographic, and enterprise data.
- FRED Economic Research - Download, graph, and track 767,000 US and international time series from 102 sources.
Illinois Research Resources