On this page
- General Information
- Statewide Legal Assistance and Resources
- Chicago Area Legal Assistance and Resources
- Fair Housing Rights
- Contact a Housing Counseling Agency
- If you are looking for help with a legal problem, a local legal aid organization can provide free legal advice and may help you find a free or low-cost attorney.
- Find more information about organizations in Illinois below or search by address to find a Legal Services Corporation (LSC) funded legal aid organization near you.
- Tenant rights, laws, and protections: Illinois
- Illinois Legal Aid Online: Free, easy to understand legal advice (find “Housing & Apartment” under “Resources”)
- VA Assistance to Help Avoid Eviction or (877) 424-3838
- National Housing Law Project
Statewide Legal Assistance and Resources
- Illinois Department of Human Rights (IDHR) - IDHR administers the Illinois Human Rights Act, which prohibits discrimination in Illinois with respect to employment, financial credit, public accommodations, housing and sexual harassment, as well as sexual harassment in education.
- Eviction Help Illinois or (855) 621-0811: Free legal aid, mediation services, and connections to other resources including rental assistance to increase housing stability. Mediation is an opportunity for landlords and tenants to resolve issues the help of a knowledgeable and neutral person.
- Prairie State Legal Services (Central and Northern Illinois) or (815) 965-2134
- Land of Lincoln Legal Aid (Central and Southern Illinois) or (877) 342-7891
- HOPE Fair Housing Center (Northern Illinois) or (630) 690-6500
Chicago Area Legal Assistance and Resources
- Cook County Legal Aid for Housing & Debt (Chicago & Cook County) or (855) 956-5763
- Chicago Renters' Rights Hotline at (312) 742-7368: Information and assistance on legal responsibilities and rights of renters and property owners
- CARPLS Legal Aid Hotline (Cook County) or (312) 738-9200 (Monday - Friday, 9 am - 4:30 pm)
- Legal Aid Chicago (Chicago) or (312) 341-1070
- Lawyers’ Committee for Better Housing (Chicago) or (312) 347-7600
- Legal Aid Society of Metropolitan Family Services (Chicago) or (312) 986-4105 / (312) 986-4200
- University of Illinois Chicago John Marshall Law School Fair Housing Legal Support Center & Clinic (Chicago)
- Uptown People’s Law Center (Chicago) or (773) 769-1411
- Chicago Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law (Chicago) or (312) 630 9744
- Center for Disability & Elder Law (Chicago & Cook) or (312) 376-1880
- Access Living of Metropolitan Chicago or (312) 640-2100
- North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic (North Suburbs) or (847) 737-4042
- Open Communities (North Suburbs) or 847-501-5760
- South Suburban Housing Center (South Suburbs) or (708) 957-4674
- Oak Park Regional Housing Center (West Suburbs) or (708) 848-7150
Fair Housing Rights
It is illegal to discriminate in the sale or rental of housing, including against individuals seeking a mortgage or housing assistance, or in other housing-related activities. Learn more.
- Fair Housing Initiatives Program (FHIP) organizations may be able to speak to a housing provider on your behalf; conduct an investigation, including testing, to help determine if you experienced discrimination; and provide you with assistance.
- If you believe your rights may have been violated or are a victim of housing discrimination, we encourage you to submit a complaint.
- Because there are time limits on when a complaint can be filed with HUD after an alleged violation, you should submit a complaint as soon as possible.
- You may file a complaint online, call us toll-free at (800) 669-9777 or (800) 877-8339 (TTY), or email ComplaintsOffice05@hud.gov.
Contact a Housing Counseling Agency
- HUD sponsors housing counselors that can provide free or low-cost advice for wherever you are in the housing process.
- They can offer independent advice on buying a home, renting, defaults, forbearances, foreclosures, credit issues, reverse mortgages, and other issues.
- Search online for a HUD-approved housing counseling agency by zip code here or call HUD's interactive voice system at (800) 569-4287.