Home / State Information / Illinois / Homeownership / Avoid Foreclosure
Avoid Foreclosure: Illinois
Homeownership Assistance      Home Repairs      Utility Bills      Predatory Lending      Seniors      Legal Assistance


If you have questions about:
  • Buying a home or qualifying for a loan
  • Down payment assistance
  • HUD Homes
  • Refinancing
  • Liens
  • HUD-1 settlement statements
  • Other issues with an FHA-insured mortgage
Contact the FHA Resource Center by calling (800) 225-5342 or emailing answers@hud.gov.
Payoff requests Use the SMART Integrated Portal to make a request and begin the subordination process (see SMART FAQs & Resources).
FHA Single Family Secretary-held Portfolio Subordinate Mortgages and Home Equity Conversion Mortgages Contact a Secretary-Held Mortgage Servicing Contractor.

Don't lose your home! Here is some guidance on default and foreclosure prevention.

1) Contact your mortgage servicer

Your mortgage servicer is the entity to which you make your monthly mortgage payments. Contact your servicer to discuss what options, such as forbearance, may be available to you. If you are unsure who your mortgage servicer is, check your monthly mortgage statement or other communications from your mortgage servicer for their contact information. You may also visit their website.

2) Contact a housing counseling agency

HUD sponsors housing counselors that can provide free or low-cost, independent advice on defaults, forbearances, foreclosures, credit issues, reverse mortgages, and other issues.

3) Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF)

HAF is a federal assistance program that helps homeowners who have been financially impacted by COVID-19 pay their mortgage or other home expenses.

4) Explore other foreclosure prevention resources


If you believe your rights may have been violated or are a victim of housing discrimination, we encourage you to submit a complaint. Because there are time limits on when a complaint can be filed with HUD after an alleged violation, you should submit a complaint as soon as possible. You may file a complaint online, call us toll-free at (800) 669-9777 or (800) 877-8339, or email ComplaintsOffice05@hud.gov.