Rental Help: Hawaii
HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants. To apply, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interests you.
Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)
To apply for either type of help, visit your local Public Housing Agency (PHA).
Some PHAs have long waiting lists, so you may want to apply at more than one PHA. Your PHA can also give you a list of locations at which your voucher can be used.
For questions about HUD rental programs, including Housing Choice (Section 8) Vouchers, contact our Public and Indian Housing (PIH) Information Resource Center:
- Email us
- Call toll-free (800) 955-2232
- Contact a housing counseling agency
- HUD Resource Locator- search for HUD offices, public housing agencies, multifamily and public housing locations and homeless coordinated entry system points of contacts .
- My Social Security - housing applicants can get benefit verification letters, check benefit and payment information, update your address and phone number and more.
Other Hawaii Resources
- Find units for rent in rural Hawaii
- Help with your utility bills
- Housing resources for seniors
- Independent living centers - for seniors and people with disabilities
- Local tenant rights, laws and protections
- Looking for a Place to Live
- Search for Federal Tax Credit rental housing
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Housing