Home / State Information / Delaware / Rental Help / Eviction Prevention Help
Eviction Prevention Help

Need help paying your rent?

HUD is working to connect tenants behind on rent and utilities with financial assistance (due to a loss of income because of COVID-19) with local rental assistance programs. Please refer to the information below to learn more about local eviction prevention resources.

  • The Delaware Housing Assistance Program (DEHAP): The Delaware State Rental Assistance Program was first introduced in 2011. It is a state-funded, voucher-based program designed to serve individuals who are eligible to receive continuing supportive services, but require affordable housing to live safely in the community. SRAP is a partnership between DSHA, the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS), the Delaware Department of Services for Children, Youth, and their Families (DSYCF), and other participating agencies and service providers. More information about SRAP can be found here and an additional bullet point of "The Section 811 Program is a federally-funded, project-based program designed to serve individuals with extremely low incomes (less than 30% AMI) and disabilities which qualify them for long-term care services as defined by the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS). Please note that DSHA does not accept Section 811 applications directly. Eligible applicants must be referred to the program by an approved service provider. If you think you may qualify for the Section 811 Program, please contact your case manager, or call the Delaware Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) at 1-800-223-9074.

Housing Counseling and Legal Resources.
If you need guidance on renting, eviction prevention, buying a home, defaults, foreclosures, or credit issues, use the links below to find a HUD participating housing counseling agency.

  • For information related to the Emergency Rental Assistance Program, COVID-19 eviction moratoria, and other guidance, visit the HUD Exchange, Rental Housing Counseling, and Eviction Prevention.
  • The nationwide network of HUD participating housing counseling agencies have been helping customers across America for more than 50 years by providing answers needed to make informed housing decisions. To find a housing counseling agency near you, click this link, HUD.gov Housing Counseling.
  • HUD’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO) provides information to landlords and tenants about fair housing regulations related to eviction. To learn more, click this link HUD.gov/FHEO/Eviction. The information is provided in English and Spanish.
  • The Legal Services Corporation of Delaware provides legal counseling on eviction prevention to renters living in privately owned units.
  • Delaware Community Legal Aid Society, Inc also provides legal counseling on eviction laws to renters living in subsidized units.
  • The Delaware Legal Help Link (delegalhelplink.org) can offer answers to general questions about evictions and your rights as a tenant.
  • To obtain information about eviction laws by state, go to the Legal Services Corporation’s Evictions Laws Database website.

Do you think you are being discriminated against?
If you think you are the victim of illegal discrimination, you can contact HUD’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO). Please follow the instructions listed below to file a complaint with FHEO by phone or online.

  • How to file a complaint using the internet: FHEO File A Complaint
  • How to file a complaint by phone: You can speak with an FHEO intake specialist by calling 1-800-669-9777 or 1-800-877-8339.

For more information, visit HUD.gov/FHEO/Eviction.

Eviction Prevention Tools for Landlords with Tenants Impacted my CVOID-19:
Eviction Prevention resources, tools, and training for landlords seeking information can be found by clicking the links below:

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), Eviction Prevention Tools for Private Landlords

Supportive Services and Additional Resources
For additional help accessing supportive services, please click the links listed below: