Housing Is Key
Information and resources for California renters, landlords, and homeowners, covering topics on COVID-19 Rent Relief, Eviction Protection, and Homeowner Assistance can be found on California’s Housing is Key site.
California's COVID-19 Rent Relief Program
The California COVID-19 Rent Relief program is designed to help income eligible households pay rent and utilities, both for past due and future payments. Funding for this program comes from federal rental assistance. For additional information or for eligibility and application help, you may wish to call the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief Call Center at (833) 430-2122 or visit online here.
Subsidized Apartments - HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants. To apply, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interests you.
- HUD Resource Locator Tool
- Affordable Apartment Listings by County (updated quarterly)
Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)
To apply for either type of help, visit your local Public Housing Agency (PHA).
For questions about HUD rental programs, including Housing Choice (Section 8) Vouchers, contact our Public and Indian Housing (PIH) Resource Center:
- Email us
- Call toll-free (800) 955-2232
- Contact a housing counseling agency
Want advice on buying a home, renting, default, foreclosure avoidance, credit issues or reverse mortgages? HUD sponsors housing counseling agencies throughout the country to provide free or low cost advice.
California Tax Credit Allocation Committee
USDA Rural Development Multi-Family Housing Rentals
- Housing resources for seniors
- Independent living centers - for seniors and people with disabilities
- State Housing Finance Agency - ask your state housing agency if you qualify for one of their programs
CA Dept. of Housing and Community Development
- Local tenant rights, laws and protections
- Help with your utility bills
- My Social Security - housing applicants can get benefit verification letters, check benefit and payment information, update your address and phone number and more.