Home / Program Description / Public Housing Relocation/Replacement
Section 8 Assistance for Public Housing Relocation/Replacement

Section 8 certificates or vouchers may be allocated to public housing tenants forced to move because of rehabilitation or demolition of their public housing unit.

When public housing residents must be relocated because of rehabilitation or demolition of public housing units, or as part of a court order, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) may allocate Section 8 assistance to allow those residents to move into privately owned housing and still pay affordable rent. This assistance makes possible the demolition of obsolete public housing projects.

Type of Assistance:
Assistance is in the form of special allocations of Section 8 certificates or vouchers for the affected tenants. The Section 8 Housing Assistance Payments program is a rent subsidy program for eligible low-income families that makes up the difference between what a family can afford (usually 30 percent of household income) and the market rent for suitable housing. It includes several subprograms that respond to different kinds of housing and delivery mechanisms.

Eligible Grantees:
HUD allocates the Section 8 assistance to Public Housing Authorities (PHAs) whose approved rehabilitation /demolition projects will require relocation of public housing residents.

Eligible Customers:
Low-income families currently living in the affected projects are eligible for the special allocation of Section 8 assistance.

Eligible Activities:
Depending upon local housing resources, the assistance may be used in existing assisted projects or as tenant-based certificates and vouchers to be used in other available rental units that meet Section 8 quality standards.

There is no separate application process for PHAs using this assistance. The allocation of units is negotiated as part of the rehabilitation/demolition plan, or a negotiated settlement of a court order.

Funding Status:
In fiscal year 1997, $39.375 million was appropriated for tenant-based assistance as part of HUD's program for revitalization of severely distressed public housing.

Technical Guidance:
The Section 8 program is authorized under Section 8 of the U.S. Housing Act of 1937, including Section 8(b)(1), Section 8(b)(2), and Section 8(o). Regulations are found in 24 CFR, Part 882, 886, 887, and 982. It is administered by HUD's Office of Public and Indian Housing of the Office of Housing. Funding for the specific purpose of providing Section 8 assistance for relocation is provided in HUD Appropriations Acts.

For More Information:
More information about the Section 8 program can be found on HUD's home page.