OSDBU Frequently Asked Questions

I am interested in doing business with HUD, how should I proceed?

Research the different organizations within HUD. Review the website of each HUD program office then identify how your company can offer value and assistance in helping the organization achieve its mission. It is critical to research this information prior to contacting the small business specialists and program officials.

Review the HUD Forecast of Contracting Opportunities to determine anticipated procurements for the fiscal year.

Prepare a one-page capability statement that highlights your products or services. View a sample capability statement.

Finally, visit the Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization (OSDBU) web pages.


I am just starting my business; do I need any special certifi­cations to conduct business with the federal government?

HUD does not require any special certifications, however, the Small Business Administration (SBA) certifies firms under its 8(a) Business Development Program, Small Disadvantaged Businesses (SDB), and HUBZone Empowerment Program. Small businesses, women-owned small businesses (WOSB), veteran-owned small businesses (VOSB) and service-disabled veteran-owned small businesses (SDVOSB) require self-certification.


How is a small business defined or categorized?

A business is considered small if it meets or is below an established monetary or number of employees “size standard.” The size standard is based on the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code. The size standard is determined based on the product or service the Government is buying. To obtain additional information, visit SBA Size Standards.


I own an Information Technology (IT) company. How can I learn about IT opportunities at HUD?

Information technology is the area where we receive the most inquiries, so the competition is substantial. When presenting your capabilities to potential customers, we suggest that you tailor your IT capabilities to specific functions, e.g., IT relating to enterprise architecture or data base management or IT related security.


How can I obtain assistance or training to help me put together good bid proposals?

The SBA provides valuable information on applicable programs and services. Visit SBA Start and Grow Your Business for more information.


What qualities is HUD looking for in a contractor?

HUD is looking for established companies with a proven track record of success in providing the types of products and services we need. You must be able to demonstrate that you can provide high quality products and/or services in a timely, professional and cost-effective manner.


How can I get a grant or loan to start my own business?

HUD does not offer any direct funding opportunities, grants, or specific assistance for starting a new business. Your best source of information is your local SBA office. The SBA has many programs available to assist you.


How do I become a subcontractor?

Market your firm’s capabilities directly to prime contractors. Review recent HUD contract awards on USAspending.gov for subcontracting opportunities.


Is it necessary to register in the System for Award Management (SAM) database?

Yes, current and potential government vendors are required to register in SAM in order to be eligible for contract awards and payments.


Where can I obtain more information on HUD’s Small Business Program?

Visit the OSDBU website to learn more about the program.