Repositioning Frequently Asked Questions and Other Handouts
(NEW) Guides to Repositioning
These Guides review the different options and associated planning considerations, available to PHAs as they consider the long-term future of their portfolios, with a focus on converting public housing properties and/or assistance to the Section 8 Program platform. The Guides present repositioning options (specific to the PHA size) in an accessible format to PHAs and their Governing Bodies, their staff, residents, and community members. Each Guide addresses the unique characteristics and opportunities most appropriate to PHAs of the respective size grouping.
- Guide for Medium/Large PHAs (251+ public housing units)
- Guide for Small PHAs (51 - 250 public housing units)
- Guide for Very Small PHAs (50 or fewer public housing units)
Handouts and FAQs
- (NEW) Guidance for Housing Finance Agencies (HFA's) and PHA's Ground Leases and Purchase Options to establish LIHTC Site Control
- Public Housing Closeout FAQs March 2022 (NEW)
- Repositioning Options: Summary of Key Characteristics (Revised)
This chart compares the key program characteristics of each main repositioning option, from eligibility for TPVs to impact on Faircloth.
- Choice Neighborhoods: Repositioning & Beyond
This document provides information about developing mixed-income housing through Choice Neighborhoods grants.
- Common Repositioning Financing Sources
This document provides a list of common financing sources that PHAs may want to consider when conducting rehabilitation or new development.
- Community Supportive Services (CSS) Programs and Repositioning
This chart provides information about the impact various repositioning strategies have on CSS programs and participants.
- DDTF and ARF Summary
This chart explains some of the key elements of Demolition Disposition Transition Fees (DDTF) and Asset Repositioning Fees (ARF).
- Energy Performance Contracts (EPC) and SAC Application (NEW)
This document provides information about requirements related to EPC debt when PHAs propose to remove units from the public housing inventory through SAC applications (i.e., demolition, disposition, voluntary conversion).
- Determining Capital Needs (NEW)
This document is intended to help PHA understand the differences between a RAD Capital Needs Assessment and a Section 18 Physical Needs Assessment.
- Environmental Reviews for Non-RAD Repositioning
This document provides an introduction to the environmental review requirements for non-RAD repositioning.
- Establishing an Owner Entity
This document provides information on establishing a separate legal entity (owner entity) to further a PHA’s repositioning goals.
- Faircloth FAQs
This document provides answers to frequently asked questions regarding PHA’s Faircloth Limit.
- How PHAs Can Leverage Partnerships with Housing Finance Agencies
This memo encourages PHAs to engage with their state HFAs.
- Pensions and Administrative Considerations
This document provides tips for PHAs to consider when analyzing their pension and administrative costs as part of their repositioning strategy.
- Repositioning and Public Housing Funds (Updated)
This document provides answers to frequently asked questions regarding the use of Public Housing Funds for repositioning.
- Repositioning for Residents (NEW)
This document provides answers to frequently asked questions that Public Housing residents may have regarding repositioning.
Repositioning Resources by Subject
Explore Repositioning Public Housing