IMPORTANT NOTE: Please be advised that Inspector Notice 2021-02, dated August 10, 2021, has been rescinded and Inspector Notice 2021-01, dated April 27, 2021 is currently in effect until further notice.
Provide our customers with independent, actionable assessments that advance risk-informed decisions about the condition of the nation’s affordable housing portfolio.
To lead with innovative assessments that empower our customers to improve the nation’s affordable housing portfolio.
- (NEW) REAC Updated FAQs for Inspection
- (NEW) Property & Unit Inspections Information for Residents - The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) will substantially increase inspections of assisted properties and units on June 1st, 2021 to help ensure the overall health and well-being of HUD-assisted households.
- Remote Video Inspections for Housing Choice Voucher Program - Read the PIH Notice for public housing agencies (PHAs) guidance on conducting Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspections using Remote Video Inspections (RVIs).
- PIH Notice Published November 30, 2020
- Webinar Presentation (December 2020) (*NOTE: Google Chrome is the Preferred Web Browser to View Presentation)
- Demonstration of how to conduct a remote video inspection (RVI) (YouTube Video)
- NATIONAL STANDARDS FOR THE PHYSICAL INSPECTION OF REAL ESTATE (NSPIRE) - Through its Physical Inspections Line of Business, HUD’s Real Estate Assessment Center (REAC) improves housing quality by performing accurate, credible, and reliable assessments of HUD’s real estate portfolio; helps ensure safe, healthy, decent affordable housing; and promotes sound property management practices. Read more...
- Waivers of Unaudited Financial Data Submissions Are Not Warranted - Pursuant to 24 CFR 902.60 (Data Collection), in the event of extenuating circumstances, an HA must request an extension of time to submit its unaudited financial information 15 days before the submission due date, by electronically submitting the requests through the FASS-PH Secure System website. The HA’s electronic request must include an objectively verifiable justification as to why the unaudited financial information cannot be submitted by the required due date. The final determination will be forwarded electronically back to the requesting HA.
The only exception for a waiver of time to submit unaudited financial information is within the stipulated guidance issued under a Federal Register Notice, and/or the allowable flexibilities pertained within a Presidentially-Declared Disaster Area(s) Notice for specific state locations and/or specific HAs. During the specified-timeframe only, may a one-time-exception also be applicable to the Integrated Assessment System Public Housing Assessment System (NASS/PHAS) scoring, which may possibly include the indicators/sub-indicators of subsequent Program offices’ (where necessary). Specifically, the PHAS indicators of Physical Assessment Subsystem (PASS); Management Assessment Subsystem (MASS), and Capital Fund Program (CFP).
- NEW PHAS Scores as of January 2017
- PHA Listening Sessions – Discussed Changes to the COCC - HUD hosted several listening sessions around the country from October – December 2016 to discuss possible changes to the amount and type of fees that a PHA’s COCC can charge and the eligible uses of these funds by the COCC. The materials from these sessions are now available.
- PHA Listening Sessions Presentations. HUD hosted several listening sessions around the country from July - September 2016 to discuss HUD’s efforts to revitalize core business functions for the public housing and the Housing Choice Voucher programs. The presentations from these sessions are now available.
- National Interagency Physical Inspection Alignment Initiative
- Inspection Standards & Data for Voucher Division (ISDV)
- VMS - PMC Submission Issue
- Under the National Disaster Recovery Framework/Federal Disaster Recovery Coordination, HUD has been designated the Coordinating Agency for examination of housing-related issues and unmet housing needs after a major disaster declaration working closely with primary agencies and supporting organizations. Under the NDRF/FDRC, in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, HUD and the Housing Recovery Support Function were tasked with developing the Housing Recovery Support Strategy. The Housing RSS supports State and local efforts with regards to the preservation, rehabilitation, and development of housing in impacted communities. Recommendations include support for public housing resiliency measures by PHAs to mitigate against future storms, which may be of interest to a wide audience of PHAs, not just PHAs directly impacted by Hurricane Sandy in New York. For further information, please click here (see Chapter 3 of the anthology – Housing).
- Secure Systems Access Disabled after 90-days of Inactivity - HUD Handbook 2400.25, revision 1, Section 5.1 states, "User IDs will are disabled after a period of inactivity of no more than 90 days." Secure Systems will start implementing this policy starting November 1st, 2007, therefore all Secure Systems users must log on to Secure Systems to prevent the disabling of their account due to inactivity. If your account is disabled, please contact the Technical Assistance Center to reactivate your account.
- REAC Archives