Home / Program Offices / Public and Indian Housing / PIH / Office of Housing Choice Vouchers / Vouchers for People with Disabilities / Certain Developments Vouchers - Vouchers for Persons with Disabilities
Certain Developments Vouchers

What are certain developments vouchers?
Certain developments vouchers enable non-elderly families having a person with disabilities, who do not currently receive housing assistance in certain developments where owners establish preferences for, or restrict occupancy to, elderly families, to obtain affordable housing.

How do families apply for certain developments vouchers?
Eligible families should contact the local PHA.

What type of developments are covered by certain development vouchers?
The specific types of developments covered under this category include:

  • Section 8 new construction projects
  • Section 8 substantial rehabilitation projects
  • State housing agencies Section 8 projects
  • Section 8 new construction projects under the Section 515 rural housing program
  • Section 8 housing assistance program for the disposition of HUD-owned projects
  • Housing assisted under Section 202 of the Housing Act of 1959
  • Housing financed by a loan or mortgage insured under Section 221(d)3) of the National Housing Act that bears an interest rate determined under Section 221 (d)5)
  • Housing insured, assisted, or held by the Secretary or a State or State Agency under Section 236 of the National Housing Act.

What organizations are eligible to apply for certain developments vouchers funding from HUD?
Public housing agencies (PHAs) authorized under state law to develop or operate housing assistance programs may apply.

What families are eligible to apply for certain developments vouchers?
Non-elderly families with a disabled person, who are on the waiting list of a covered development. These non-elderly families with a disabled person do not need to be listed on the PHA’s housing choice voucher waiting list in order to be offered and receive housing choice voucher rental assistance. It is sufficient that these families' names are on the waiting list for a covered development at the time their names are provided to the PHA by the owner. Eligible participants also include other non-elderly disabled families residing in the community who would qualify for a one- or zero-bedroom unit. These families must apply to the PHA and have their names placed on the housing choice voucher program waitlist.

How does a PHA determine if a family is income eligible for the certain developments vouchers?
The PHA compares the family’s annual income (gross income) with the HUD-established very low-income limit or low income limit for the area. The family's gross income cannot exceed this limit.

How do families obtain an apartment once they have a voucher?
It is the responsibility of a family to find a unit that meets their needs. If the family finds a unit that meets the housing quality standards, the rent is reasonable, and the unit meets other program requirements, the PHA executes a HAP contract with the property owner. This contract authorizes the PHA to make subsidy payments on behalf of the family. If the family moves out of the unit, the contract with the owner ends and the family can move with continued assistance to another unit.

How much rent do vouchers cover?
The PHA pays the owner the difference between 30 percent of family income and PHA determined payment standard or gross rent whichever is lower. The family may choose a unit with a higher rent than the payment standard and pay the owner the difference.

Do families have to lease a unit in the jurisdiction where the PHA issued the voucher?
No. A family may choose a unit anywhere in the United States where there is a PHA that administers a tenant based voucher program. However, the family may only use the voucher to lease a unit in an area where the family is income eligible at admission to the program.

What regulations cover this voucher?
Regulations are found in 24 CFR Part 982.