The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Mobility Demonstration was authorized and funded through the 2019 and 2020 Appropriations Acts. A total of $50 million is available to PHAs that participate in the demonstration: up to $10 million is for new vouchers for families with children and the remainder is available for mobility-related services. The 2019 Appropriations Act also makes available $3 million for a research evaluation.
On July 15, 2020, HUD released FR-6191-N-01, Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers: Implementation of the Housing Choice Voucher Mobility Demonstration. PHAs interested in applying for the demonstration should follow the instructions in FR-6191-N-01.
- Applications are due by 11:59pm (EDT) on October 13, 2020.
The primary purposes of the demonstration are:
- To provide voucher assistance and mobility services to families with children to encourage such families to move to lower-poverty areas;
- To expand their access to opportunity areas, and
- To evaluate the effectiveness of the strategies pursued under the demonstration.
Through the demonstration, HUD will implement, test, and evaluate whether housing mobility programs expand access to opportunity neighborhoods.
This demonstration will allow participating PHAs throughout the country to implement housing mobility programs by offering mobility-related services to increase the number of voucher families with children living in opportunity areas. In addition to offering mobility-related services, participating PHAs will work together in their regions to adopt administrative policies that further enable housing mobility, increase landlord participation, and reduce barriers for families to move across PHA jurisdictions through portability.
HCV Mobility Demonstration Links
- Sample Form HUD-52515
- Data Tool Instructions for Category A and D Applicants (Google Chrome Preferred Web Browser)
- Data Tool Instructions for All Applicants (Google Chrome Preferred Web Browser)
- Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2019 (Pub. L. 116ā6)
- Further Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2020 (Pub. L. 116-94)
- PDF: Questions and Answers, Updated August 3
Webinars for PHAs
On August 5 at 2 pm (EDT), HUD will host a webinar on the data tools available for applicants applying for the HCV Mobility Demonstration. PHAs are encouraged to read the Federal Register notice in advance of the webinar, attend the overview webinar or watch the recording, and read the instructions for the data tools. PHAs may submit questions in advance of the webinar to email@example.com. The webinar will be recorded and posted here after the event.
The webinar will be conducted as a Microsoft Teams Live Event. Attendees do not need to register in advance. Attendees that do not have the Teams application on their devices may join via their internet browser.
- Attendees can access the data tools event by clicking here on August 5 at 2 pm (EDT).
- New to Microsoft Teams? Click here to watch a very short tutorial on attending a live event.
Seeking Housing Assistance
Please reach out to your local HUD office and public housing agency (PHA) to learn more about the housing resources and opportunities within your community. For further information on how to locate the nearest HUD office and PHA, please click on the following link: https://resources.hud.gov/.