U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT
PEOPLE, IMAGINATION, AND HOUSING
Calling all Youth Artists!
The Office of Public and Indian Housing is hosting its first annual Art Competition. Let us know what the competitionās theme, āOpening Doors and Unlocking Opportunities, through People, Imagination, and Housingā, means to you through the submission of an original art piece! All pieces submitted by artists will have the opportunity to be displayed on the HUD website with a few selected pieces being displayed at HUD Head Quarters in Washington DC!
We are looking forward to this exciting event and fostering a positive experience for youth under the age of 25 who partake in Public and Indian Housing programs. While HUD and its organizers for this exhibit will take care in the protection and display of all artworks, it cannot guarantee your artwork will not be damaged or lost while in HUD's possession for the exhibition. For art to be displayed in the online gallery as well as at HUD Headquarters, all artists must agree to accept the risk of damage or loss for the duration of the display. A "Release and Waiver of Liability" agreement is included below. We ask that you review it prior to signing and returning this form. The agreement must be signed and returned by all artists in order to secure your participation in the Public & Indian Housing Art Competition, āOpening Doors and Unlocking Opportunities, through People, Imagination, and Housingā.
Please review the important information below, sign the entry form and waiver, and confirm your participation in the HUD PIH Arts Youth Art Competition. Please submit this information along with one art piece meeting the below requirements to PIHART@hud.gov by 5:00pm EST July 31st, 2020. You will receive a confirmation email upon submission. Please confirm that you are agreeing to exhibit the submitted piece and that its art description is correct. Please send a confirmation reply to the PIHART@hud.gov no later than 5:00pm EST July 31st, 2020.
Want to enter? Itās easy!
- Please review the important information below.
- Enter your information and sign the competition agreement.
- You will receive a confirmation email after completing your entry form.
- Forward your confirmation message WITH your artwork as an attachment to PIHART@HUD.GOV by 5:00pm EST July 31, 2020.
- Thatās it! We will make sure that we can open/view your artwork and let you know what comes next.
Please complete this entry form and the attached waiver in order to submit your piece to the contest. Art pieces will be judged at the regional and national level, with all pieces being showcased in the HUD PIH Virtual Art Gallery display and select pieces showcased in the HUD HQ on-site exhibition (unless you note otherwise). Both, the HUD HQ on-site exhibition and HUD PIH Virtual Art Gallery will be displayed on a date TBD after the completion of the judging in August 2020.
All artist must agree to the below Important Information:
- Only one entry per exhibitor per category (unless stated differently under each contest). The item must be the sole and original work of the exhibitor;
- Sign and return the "Release and Waiver of Liability" agreement;
- Digitally submit high resolution (300 dpi) artwork to PIHART@hud.gov as a PDF, jpg or png by 5:00pm EST July 31st, 2020;
- Show their artwork for the entire run of the show ā TBD after the completion of the judging in August 2020;
- Artwork must be two-dimensional;
- Artwork can be no larger than 26 inches high, 26 inches wide, and 4 inches deep, including the frame;
- Assure that each artwork does not exceed 15 pounds;
- Decisions are the sole responsibility of the judge and are final. Items should not contain copyrighted material, nor contain threatening, offensive, or abusive depictions;
- Allow HUD's Space Management staff to hang/un-hang the artwork; and
- Allow artwork images to be displayed on the HUD PIH Virtual Art Gallery Page and used for promotions created by the Office of Public and Indian Housing (unless you note otherwise).
- If notified by HUD Judging Committee mail artwork in time to arrive at 451 7th St SW, Washington, DC 20024, ATTN: Jerryl Bennett on or about 5:00pm EST August 22nd, 2020, where artwork will be inspected and released to the HUD PIH Art Committee;
- If notified by HUD Judging Committee deliver artwork "hang ready" - either framed, or canvas stretched (for the crochet blanket, a rod hardware is recommended for hanging). All artwork must arrive with D-rings installed in advance, at least 3 inches from the top of the artwork. No artwork will be nailed directly to the HUD walls, but will instead be hung from molding hooks and suspended wires. D-rings are required by HUD Space Management in order to hang the artwork for this exhibit.
- If notified by HUD Judging Committee arrange for pickup of their artwork from HUD shortly after the end of the art exhibition at HUD (date/time TBD) and obtain a HUD property pass to exit the building or agree for HUD to keep artwork on permanent basis.
Accepted mediums for the two-dimensional artwork are as follows:
- Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc;
- Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, pastels, charcoal (It is recommended that charcoal and pastel drawings be fixed);
- Prints: lithographs, silk screen, block prints;
- Mixed Media: use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc;
- Collages (must be two dimensional);
- and Computer-generated art.
Timeline for PIH Youth Art Competition
- Submit Art to PIHART@HUD.GOV by 5:00pm EST on July 31, 2020.
- Judging will take place during August 2020, with notifications of winners and further instructions sent o/a mid-August, 2020
- Art will be displayed in HUD and online (date/time TBD)
THANK YOU in advance for making this event/effort possible!
Questions? Email PIHART@HUD.GOV