The Housing Opportunity Through Modernization Act of 2016 (HOTMA) was enacted on July 29, 2016. Title I of HOTMA contains 14 sections that affect the public housing and Section 8 rental assistance programs. This page serves as a clearinghouse for resources related to the implementation of Housing Opportunity Through Modernization Act of 2016 (HOTMA) provisions that affect programs administered by PIH.
The rule was officially published in the Federal Register on February 14, 2023. PHAs have until January 1, 2024, to implement the broader income and asset changes in Sections 102 and 104. For PHAs that administer the Public Housing program, the rule includes new Public Housing over-income provisions in Section 103 that become effective March 16, 2023. If implementation of these provisions requires a significant amendment, PHAs are required to complete all relevant PHA Plan changes. PHAs have until June 14, 2023 to implement fully all over-income requirements in the rule.
Statute and Initial Implementation Guidance
- The Housing Opportunity Through Modernization Act of 2016 (Public Law 114–201) was enacted July 29, 2016.
- On October 24, 2016, HUD’s initial implementation guidance was published in the Federal Register. This guidance identified provisions that were effective upon enactment or already in effect (i.e., no HUD action required to implement) and provisions that would be effective only once HUD issued guidance or undertook rulemaking.
Sections 101, 105, 106, 112
HOTMA Implementation Proposed Rule Slides for PBV, HQS, and Utility Allowances
HOTMA Implementation Proposed Rule Webinar for PBV, HQS and Utility Allowances (mp4) Google Chrome is Preferred Web Browser to view
- HUD published an implementation notice and request for comment in the Federal Register on January 18, 2017.
- HUD published technical corrections to the January 18, 2017, notice in the Federal Register on July 14, 2017.
- HUD published Notice PIH 2017–18, "Housing Choice Voucher Program – Guidance on Manufactured Home Space Rentals,” on September 7, 2017
- HUD published Notice PIH 2017–20, "Housing Opportunity Through Modernization Act of 2016 (HOTMA) – Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Implementation Guidance," on October 27, 2017
- HUD published Notice PIH 2017–21, "Implementation Guidance: Housing Opportunity Through Modernization Act of 2016 (HOTMA) – Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) and Project-Based Voucher (PBV) Provisions," on October 30, 2017
- Program Cap Calculation Worksheet – the worksheet has recently been updated. If you already downloaded an earlier version, please re-download and use this latest version.
- Poverty Rate by Census Tract – Use this tool to determine if an address falls into a tract that has an average poverty level of 20 percent or less to determine if a unit qualifies for the PBV percentage limit (program cap) 10 percent increase or the income-mixing requirement (project cap) 40 percent increase.
- PIH 2017-21 Webcast and Training Slides
Sections 102, 103, 104 – Income and Assets
This final rule revises HUD regulations to put sections 102, 103, and 104 of HOTMA into effect. These sections make changes to the United States Housing Act of 1937, particularly those affecting income calculation, reviews, and program eligibility.
(NEW) Preview of HOTMA Final Rule Implementing Sections 102, 103, and 104
HOTMA Proposed Rule and Request for Public Comment for Sections 102, 103, and 104
HUD will be hosting webinars this spring and summer to provide more information on the updated regulations.
Register Today: HOTMA Income and Assets Training Series
HUD will post upcoming webinar dates and registration information, as well as recordings of all webinars, over the coming months.
HOTMA Income & Assets Rule Briefing for PHAs
Please send all Public Housing and HCV program related questions about HOTMA to HOTMAquestions@hud.gov
- Proposed rule forthcoming
If you have a question about HOTMA, please send it to HOTMAquestions@hud.gov.