The Housing Opportunity Through Modernization Act of 2016 (HOTMA) (Public Law 114–201) was enacted on July 29, 2016. Title I of HOTMA contains 14 sections that affect the public housing and Section 8 rental assistance programs. This page serves as a clearinghouse for resources related to the implementation of HOTMA provisions that affect programs administered by PIH.
Sections 102, 103, 104 – Income and Assets
The rule was officially published in the Federal Register on February 14, 2023, and revises HUD regulations to put sections 102, 103, and 104 of HOTMA into effect. These sections make changes to the United States Housing Act of 1937, particularly those affecting income calculation, reviews, and program eligibility.
- (NEW) PIH Notice 2023-27 Implementation Guidance: Section 102 and 104 of HOTMA
- Note 10/26/2023: On page 6, HUD is working to make one correction and remove the following sentence: “PHAs must pick a compliance date that falls before the deadline for their PHA Plan submission.” To clarify, each PHA will establish a compliance date, as early as January 1, 2024, but no later than January 1, 2025, based on when the PHA’s software is able to submit to the Housing Information Portal (HIP). The Real Estate Assessment Center (REAC) will be issuing a separate HIP transition notice, which will provide more information on the migration to the HIP system.
- (NEW) Email to PHA Executive Directors – Notice Announcement and Update on Compliance 9/29/2023
- (NEW) Implementation Guidance Notice Overview Presentation
- (NEW) Income and Assets Crosswalk of Regulation Changes
- (NEW) Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher Program List of Discretionary Policies to Implement HOTMA – 9/25/2023 update
- (NEW) Revised Forms HUD-50058 Family Report for the Non-MTW, MTW, and MTW Expansion Programs 9/29/2023
- Email to PHA Executive Directors-Update on HOTMA Implementation – July 18, 2023
- Over-Income in Public Housing Resources
- Preview of HOTMA Final Rule Implementing Sections 102, 103, and 104
- HOTMA Income and Assets Final Rule Highlights
- HOTMA Income and Assets Final Rule Q&A
- HOTMA Proposed Rule and Request for Public Comment for Sections 102, 103, and 104
HUD will post a series of recorded webinar trainings covering topics from the Notice, such as Net Family Assets and Calculating Income, over the coming months.
HOTMA Income and Assets Training Series – May 2023
HOTMA Income & Assets Rule Briefing for PHAs (YouTube Video)
Please send all Public Housing and HCV program related questions about HOTMA to HOTMAquestions@hud.gov