The Office of Public and Indian Housing (PIH) is committed to working with our public housing agency (PHA) partners to expand opportunities for individuals and families to access quality affordable rental homes.
The Department recognizes the importance of ending and preventing homelessness. This is why the Office of Public and Indian Housing (PIH) and the Office of Community Planning and Development (CPD) have teamed up to develop cross-cutting, cross-programmatic tools and resources to encourage and support our local public housing authorities (PHAs) and Continuums of Care (CoCs) in developing effective partnerships at the community level.
- Notice PIH 2013-15 ((Updated Notice Coming Soon) - PIH Notice Guidance on housing individuals and families experiencing homelessness through the Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher programs provides strategies to PHAs to expand housing opportunities for individuals and families experiencing homelessness through Public Housing and/or Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) programs.
- FAQs (September 2013)
- Ending Homelessness through the Housing Choice Voucher and Public Housing Programs - Staff from PIH present information related to the Notice.
Moving on Strategy
Moving On strategies focus on clients in permanent supportive housing (PSH) who may no longer need or want the intensive services offered but continue to need rental assistance to maintain their housing. This approach relies on partnerships between the Continuum of Care (CoC), PSH providers, and mainstream housing programs, such as Public Housing, the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program, and HUD-funded Multifamily housing providers.
- Resources, tools and best practice examples to help implement a successful Moving On strategy - These resources include resource inventory tools, guidebooks, case-studies, and lessons learned from other communities who have implemented a Moving On strategy.
- Public Housing Agency Moving On How-To Guide - This guide helps PHAs understand how to get involved with Moving On efforts and how such efforts can benefit their agency and the wider community
- Moving On Webinar Series
- USICH's PHA Guidebook to Ending Homelessness - The USICH PHA Guidebook provides guidance and best practices PHAs can use to strengthen their collaborative efforts.
- Study of PHA's Efforts to Serve the Homeless (YouTube Video) - Presentation of the findings from the HUD-commissioned Study on PHA Efforts to Serve People Experiencing Homelessness in the Housing Choice Voucher and Public Housing programs.
- Abt's PowerPoint Presentation of Study Findings (MS-PowerPoint)
- PHA 101: A Guide for CoC’s Understanding PHA Programs and Policies - Staff from PIH give an overview of the basics about PHAs and the programs administered by HUD’s PIH.
- CoC 101: A Guide for PHA’s Understanding of CoC Functions and Partnerships - Staff from CPD and the Corporation for Supportive Housing (CSH) present information on the functions of CoCs and opportunities for partnerships.
- CoC and PHA Collaboration: Strategies for CoCs to Start the Partnership Conversation - This guidance document provides CoCs with preliminary strategies and tips for starting or improving the partnership conversation and engaging their local PHA(s) in collaborative planning activities.