Affordable Connectivity Plan (ACP) News Stories
New Haven, Connecticut
Elm City Communities (ECC), the Housing Authority of the City of New Haven, has been working diligently to enroll residents in the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) and narrow the digital divide.
Elm City Communities convened non-profits and local government to work in coordination to enroll residents in the ACP. They promoted the ACP benefit to residents through direct outreach at tenant council meetings, one-on-one conversations with residents, and through digital communication.
In partnership with the non-profit CFAL (Concepts for Adaptive Learning), the City of New Haven, and the New Haven Free Public Library, ECC held a series of community enrollment events. ECC targeted the most vulnerable residents by prioritizing senior housing residents. To reduce barriers and incentivize resident participation, ECC did not require any sign-ups for the events, held the events at resident community rooms, and provided refreshments to attendees. ECC enrolled 26 residents in ACP in their first two enrollment events. With more events planned through Spring 2024, they are excited about continuing to enroll residents and closing the digital divide in their communities!
Pahokee Housing Authority (PHA) has been working on addressing all three elements of the digital inclusion stool: devices, connectivity, and digital skills. Pahokee Housing Authority has connected residents with free phones or tablets, enrolled them in the Affordable Connectivity Program, and offered residents digital skills training on a range of important topics including online security and managing devices.
Pahokee Housing Authority held an ACP enrollment event at their local community center on November 9, 2023, where 16 residents attended to learn about the ACP and received a free phone or tablet. Pahokee Housing Authority is working with their local Internet Service Provider to continue addressing the digital divide and host more ACP enrollment across their developments in the upcoming months.
Santa Barbara, California
The Housing Authority of the County of Santa Barbara (HASBARCO) partnered with EconAlliance and the Santa Barbara County Foodbank to host an ACP outreach event and food distribution on November 22, 2023, at the Santa Rita Village multifamily site. The ACP outreach event was attended by over 120 households. Participants received local fresh fruits and vegetables, meat, non-perishable food, and information about the ACP program. With the support of HASBARCO and EconAlliance, 39 families completed an ACP application.
HASBARCO will work with their partners, EconAlliance and Santa Barbara County’s Partners in Education to launch a Digital Equity Campaign at their multifamily and elderly/disabled properties in 2024 aimed at narrowing the digital divide for HUD-assisted residents. Their campaign will include Digital Literacy Day events, enrolling residents in discounted internet programs, connecting residents to educational resources, and providing them with a free refurbished computer device. HASBARCO is excited to expand and continue their programing to close the digital divide for the families they serve!
At Calabria and Victorina apartments, both multi-family properties in Anaheim, CA- multi-family staff has been working to organize and engage residents around digital equity and inclusion. At both apartments multi-family staff directly engaged residents through door knocking and individual conversations, through this they enrolled 10 residents in the ACP. The staff also shared flyers about the ACP in English and Spanish with local service providers.
To learn more about digital equity and how to navigate ACP in your communities please visit the Equity Action Plan | Federal Communications Commission (fcc.gov) and review the resources provided by HUD’s non-profit partner EducationSuperHighway
Affordable Connectivity Plan (ACP) Resource Links:
- FCC’s “How to” Guide for hosting a successful ACP Outreach event
- FCC Outreach Materials and Toolkit in 12 languages: ACP Consumer Outreach Toolkit | Federal Communications Commission (fcc.gov)
- Free outreach resources and flyers, postcards, etc. in 15 languages prepared by Education SuperHighway to help your staff understand the steps necessary to enroll residents: Promote ACP | Affordable Connectivity Program Resource Hub (educationsuperhighway.org)
- Press release template to announce an ACP outreach event
- We are asking all PHAs, HUD-subsidized Multifamily owners, or Tribally Designated Housing Entities who conduct an outreach event to submit photos to the HUD team. HUD must have a signed photo release form in order to post pictures of residents to a HUD webpage. Photo release form.
- Menu of options to conduct ACP outreach.
- Companies Near Me Tool can help identify participating service providers of ACP in your area. The tool can be used to additionally view a list of providers who offer discounted devices.
- Mini-Guide to ACP for HUD Assisted Communities covers ACP multi-step enrollment process and highlights challenges and lessons-learned from two ConnectHomeUSA communities.
- Webinar: ACP for ConnectHomeUSA Communities presented by HUD’s ConnectHomeUSA program, representatives from FCC provided an overview of the new program and best practices for resident engagement, outreach, and program enrollment.