Support Information for Consumers

What is HUD's Role in the Manufactured Housing Industry?

Under federal law, HUD is responsible for oversight of the federal manufactured housing program in the United States. Under HUD regulations, homes are inspected at various stages of production by an inspection agency approved by HUD. In addition, the manufacturer has an approved quality control program in place throughout the production process. A certification label (commonly referred to as a HUD tag) is applied to each home section, by the manufacturer, to indicate that it is in compliance with the HUD Code. Additionally, Subpart I of the Manufactured Home Procedural and Enforcement Regulations (24 CFR Part 3282.401-416) dictates certain procedures the manufacturer/retailer must follow should they become aware of a problem with a home after it has been shipped from the manufacturing facility.

Does Federal Law Provide Me with Any Protections, as the Owner of a Manufactured Home?

Yes. Federal law requires manufacturers to notify the original purchaser, and subsequent purchasers whose names and addresses are known, of performance- and safety-related defects that are discovered by the manufacturer. Manufacturers also may be required to correct these defects if they create an unreasonable risk of injury or death, or are related to design or assembly errors. The retailer who sells you a manufactured home is required to register your information with the manufacturer to be able to provide such notification of defects.

If I Have A Problem with My Home, Who Do I Contact?

First, contact your retailer. Then, follow up with a written list of problems to the retailer, manufacturer, and installer. Always keep a copy of all correspondence for your personal records. Follow up any correspondence with a call to the retailer and/or manufacturer to discuss your problems and schedule a service appointment.

If your home is not repaired within a reasonable time period, or if the responsible party refuses to make repairs, you should contact the State Administrative Agency (SAA) that has been approved by HUD to administer and oversee the Federal Manufactured Housing Program in your state.

The SAA may assist the homeowner in resolving problems with a manufactured home if the manufacturer and/or retailer have been unresponsive to the homeowner's service request. If you live in a state that does not administer the Federal Program, you will need to contact HUD for assistance at:

U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
Office of Manufactured Housing Programs
451 Seventh Street, SW, Room 9170
Washington, DC 20410-8000
Phone: (202) 708-6423 (toll free at 1-800-927-2891)
Fax: (202) 708-4213

Be prepared to provide the following information to the SAA or HUD:

  • Retailer's Name, Address, and Phone Number
  • Manufacturer's Name, Address and Phone Number
  • Serial and Certification Label Number(s)
  • Date of Purchase
  • Description of the complaint (include copies of all documentation
    with the retailer and/or manufacturer, pictures, etc.)
  • Your Name, Address, Phone Number(s), and an email address