On March 7, 2013, the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013 (VAWA 2013) was signed into law. The law significantly expanded housing protections to victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking across HUD’s core housing and homelessness programs. To implement the law’s new provisions, HUD issued a final rule, which took effect on December 16, 2016. Read HUD’s press release announcing the rule’s publication. The new provisions build a broad set of housing protections into all of HUD’s key programs.
HUD’s regulation applies to all multifamily assisted housing properties, including those with project-based Section 8, Section 202 and 811 supportive housing for the elderly and people with disabilities; Section 236 and 221(d)(3) below market and reduced interest rate programs; and the Section 811 Project Rental Assistance grant program.
The Office of Multifamily Housing issued guidance to owners and management agents of HUD multifamily assisted housing on the requirements of implementation of the rule in HUD housing programs with program notice H 2017-05 on June 30, 2017. The program notice does not encompass all aspects of the rule and should be used in conjunction with the final rule.
To provide additional information on VAWA requirements, HUD produced two training webcasts and accompanying PowerPoint presentations:
July 26, 2017 - VAWA Final Rule Multifamily Housing Owner/Agent Perspective
August 1, 2017 – VAWA Final Rule Multifamily Housing HUD and PBCA Staff Perspective
Multifamily Housing VAWA Questions & Answers
New questions will be added soon!
- HUD-5380 Notice of Occupancy Rights Under the Violence Against Women Act
- HUD-5381 Model Emergency Transfer Plan for Victims of Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, Sexual Assault, or Stalking
- HUD-5382 Certification of Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, Sexual Assault, or Stalking, and Alternate Documentation
- HUD-5383 Emergency Transfer Request for Certain Victims of Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, Sexual Assault, or Stalking
- HUD-91067 Section 8 VAWA Lease Addendum
- National Domestic Violence Hotline - 1-800-799-7233 or 1-800-787-3224 (TTY)
- The Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network’s National Sexual Assault telephone Hotline – 1.800.656.HOPE
- National Center for Victims of Crime’s Stalking Resource Center