The Healthy Home Technical Studies (HHTS) program is a competitive grant program that is announced annually through HUD's SuperNOFA (Notice of Funding Availability) publication in the Federal Register. The HHTS program announcement is now combined with the Lead Technical Studies Program announcement in a single NOFA. The Notice of Funding Availability is published online.
Fiscal Year 2020 Lead and Healthy Homes Technical Studies Funding
HUD's Fiscal Year 2020 Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) for the Lead and Healthy Homes Technical Studies Grant Program Pre- and Full Applications was published on May 1, 2020. The NOFA makes available $2M in funding for Lead Technical Studies and $5M for Healthy Homes Technical Studies cooperative agreements. Pre-applications are due on 6/15/2020. The NOFA can be accessed on Grants.gov by searching the funding opportunity number (FR-6400-N-15) or the CFDA number (14.902 or 14.906).
The overall program objective is to gain knowledge to improve the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of methods for the evaluation and control of housing-related health and safety hazards. The program, part of HUD's Healthy Homes Initiative, is particularly focused on children's health.
Objectives of particular interest to HUD include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Developing validated assessment tools and improving environmental sampling protocols.
- Improving upon current residential Integrated Pest Management (IPM) protocols.
- Improving indoor air quality.
- Evaluating the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of interventions to address high-priority residential health and safety hazards.
Eligible HHTS Grant Applicants
Academic and not-for-profit institutions located in the U.S., state and units of local general government, Federally recognized Native American tribes, and for-profit organizations.
Historical Levels of Funding
Since its inception in 1999 the program has awarded approximately $1.5 to $3 million in grant funds annually. Individual grant awards have ranged from approximately $200,000 to $1 million. Previously announced NOFAs are archived.
- HHTS & LTS Grant Programs Abstracts FY 2006 - 2019
- Need help with Reporting or LOCCS?
- Have a grant administration question?
- HH Toolbox (MS Excel)
- HHTS QAP Template (MS Word)
- HUD's Standard Dust Sampling Protocol
- The Residential Lead-based Paint Hazard Reduction Act (Title X)
- 24 CFR Part 35
- 24 CFR Part 85
- OMB Circular A-87
- Guidance on the Uniform Relocation Assistance Act (URA)
- The HUD Guidelines
- Grant Policy Guidances
- Prior Notices of Funding Availability (NOFA)
- The Lead Safe Housing Rule
- Submit Your Annual Section 3 Report
RESOURCES FOR RECOVERY ACT GRANTEES
Logic Model (Recovery Version):
- HHTS Logic Model (Excel)
- HHTS Fact Sheet
Review Papers on Key Healthy Homes Topics:
- HHI-supported research
- Find your local Healthy Homes Representative