Where to Get Help

There are a number of different types of organizations that may be able to assist you with obtaining reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications.

On this page

HUD-Funded Organizations

State and Local Organizations

Non-Profit Organizations

Additional Resources

Contact HUD

HUD-Funded Organizations

In general, HUD funds two types of organizations that may be able to assist you.

First, HUD funds Fair Housing Assistance Program (FHAP) organizations. FHAP organizations enter an intergovernmental partnership with HUD. These organizations administer state or local laws that are substantially equivalent to the Fair Housing Act and can investigate complaints under their State and local laws and the Fair Housing Act. FHAP organizations cannot investigate allegations of discrimination under Section 504 or the Americans with Disabilities Act. More information is located on the Fair Housing Assistance Program (FHAP) page.

Second, HUD funds organizations through the Fair Housing Initiatives Program (FHIP). These organizations assist individuals who believe they have been victims of housing discrimination. FHIP organizations can assist by writing to or speaking with your housing provider about their legal obligations to provide reasonable accommodations, reviewing your request to make sure you have provided enough information for your housing provider to be able to grant the request, assisting you with the verification process, filing a fair housing discrimination complaint with HUD or a State or local fair housing agency, or filing a housing discrimination lawsuit in Federal or State court.

You may also file a housing discrimination complaint with HUD here.

State and Local Organizations

Your State or local government may also have organizations that provide assistance and support to individuals with disabilities. For instance, State Protection & Advocacy Systems (P&As) advocate on behalf of individuals with disabilities at the State and local level. There are 57 P&As throughout the United States and its territories. P&As provide legal support to traditionally unserved or underserved populations to help them navigate the legal system to achieve resolution and encourage systems change. P&As ensure that individuals with disabilities are able to exercise their rights to make choices, contribute to society, and live independently. More information about P&As can be found here.

Non-Profit Organizations

There are countless non-profit organizations that may be able to assist you with obtaining a reasonable accommodation or reasonable modification. Some examples include Centers for Independent Living and ADA Centers.

Centers for Independent living are organizations that are designed and operated by individuals with disabilities and work to support community living and independence for individuals with disabilities based on the belief that all people can live with dignity, make their own choices, and participate fully in society. These programs provide tools, resources, and supports for integrating individuals with disabilities into their communities, promote equal opportunities, self-determination, and respect. More information about Centers for Independent Living can be found here.

The ADA National Network consists of 10 ADA regional ADA Centers throughout the United States, and they provide local assistance and foster implementation of the ADA. Find an ADA Center near you or get more information about ADA Centers here.

Legal Aid is a network of 132 non-profits that provide legal aid to low-income individuals, and may be able to assist you with fair housing and other civil rights-related issues. More information about Legal Aid can be found here.

Additional Resources

Laws and Regulations

Additional information on the Federal laws that prohibit discrimination because of disability, including statutes and regulations, is available here.

Guidance Documents

Joint Statement of HUD and DOJ on Reasonable Accommodations

Joint Statement of HUD and DOJ on Reasonable Modifications

Notice on Service Animals and Assistance Animals for People with Disabilities in Housing and HUD-Funded Programs

Additional Guidance, Notices, and other materials relating to disability are available here.

State, Local, and Non-Profit Resources

Additional resources or assistance may be available from various State, local, and non-profit organizations. These types of organizations might be able to provide guidance, support, including legal support, and advocacy for individuals with disabilities. HUD also funds State or local agencies that can investigate housing discrimination under the Fair Housing Act.

Examples of organizations that may be able to help is available here

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

HUD’s Section 504 FAQ is available here.

FAQs relating to reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications under all three Federal disability laws is available here

Contact HUD

HUD can investigate allegations of disability discrimination in housing under the Fair Housing Act, Section 504, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

If you believe you were discriminated against because of your disability, including if you asked for a reasonable accommodation or reasonable modification and did not get one or it took a long time to get one, information about what HUD can do to help and how you may file a housing discrimination complaint with HUD is located here.

Note: It is important to file a complaint as soon as possible after the incident, because there may be time limits on when a complaint can be filed.

Back to Top