HUD's Community Compass initiative funds technical assistance (TA) and capacity building activities for HUD's customers, including grantees, public housing authorities, and tribes. Managed by the Technical Assistance Division, Community Compass is an innovative, outcome-focused approach and a collaborative effort among HUD, its customers, and the organizations providing TA and capacity building on behalf of HUD.
Community Compass helps HUD's customers navigate complex housing and community development challenges by equipping them with the knowledge, skills, tools, capacity, and systems to implement HUD programs and policies successfully. The goal of Community Compass is to empower communities so that successful program implementation is sustained over the long term.
Recognizing that HUD’s customers often interact with a variety of HUD programs as they deliver housing or community development services, Community Compass brings together TA investments from across HUD program offices, including the Office of Community Planning and Development, the Office of Housing, the Office of Public and Indian Housing, the Office of Lead Hazard Control and Healthy Homes and the Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity for the following programs, policies, and initiatives:
- Affordable Housing & Community Development: Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), Economic Development Initiatives (EDI), HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME), Housing Counseling, Housing Trust Fund, Multifamily Housing Preservation, Section 108 Loan Guarantee Program, and Section 202 Direct Loan program
- Disaster recovery and resiliency: Community Development Block Grant Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) and CDBG Mitigation (CDBG-MIT)
- Energy Efficiency and Environmental Review: Better Buildings Challenge Partners (BBC)
- Fair Housing: National Fair Housing Training Academy (NFHTA) and other initiatives
- Homeless Assistance: Continuum of Care (CoC), Emergency Solutions Grants (ESG), Pay for Success demonstration, Rural Housing Stability Program (RHSP), and Homeless Management Information System (HMIS)
- Housing for Special Populations: Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA), Section 202 Supportive Housing for the Elderly, and Section 811 Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities
- Lead Hazard Control and Healthy Homes: Lead Disclosure Rule and Lead Safe Housing Rule implementation, Smoke-free housing promotion, Healthy homes disaster rehabilitation methods, Healthy homes elements in Energy and Healthy Housing TA, Integrated pest management in assisted housing.
- Native American Programs: Indian Housing Block Grant and Native Hawaiian Block Grant
- Public Housing: Housing Choice Vouchers, Public Housing Administrative Receiverships, Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD), Choice Neighborhoods, Jobs Plus, Section 8, and other project-based rental assistance
- Rural: Rural Housing and Economic Development (RHED) Programs and Self-Help Homeownership Opportunity Program (SHOP)
- Secretarial and Administrative programs and initiatives
- Supplemental Programs: CARES Act, American Rescue Plan, and Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP)
Activities performed under Community Compass include:
- Needs assessments
- Direct Technical Assistance and Capacity Building engagements
- Development of products and tools
- Self-directed and group learning
- Knowledge management
- Data reporting, analysis and management
- NAHASDA allocation formula administration and negotiated rulemaking support
In addition to this TA initiative, learn more about another HUD TA offering for Distressed Cities and Persistent Poverty Technical Assistance Program and Thriving Communities Technical Assistance Program.
Content current as of March 29, 2023.
This information is for organizations that have signed cooperative agreements under the Community Compass program.
- 2020 & 2021 Awards (FY20 and FY21)
- 2018 & 2019 Awards (FY18, FY19, Supplemental)
- 2017 Awards (FY17)
- 2016 Awards (FY16)
- 2015 Awards (FY15)
- 2014 Awards (FY14)
- 2013 Awards (FY13)
- 2012 Awards (FY11-12)
- 2011 Awards (FY10)
- 2010 Awards (FY09)
- 2009 Awards (FY08)
- 2008 Awards (FY07)
- 2007 Awards (FY06)
- 2006 Awards (FY05)
- 2004 Awards (FY04)