The Community Development Block Grant Mitigation (CDBG-MIT) Program funds pose a unique opportunity for eligible grantees to use this assistance in areas impacted by recent disasters to carry out strategic and high-impact activities to mitigate disaster risks and reduce future losses. Congress appropriated $12 billion in CDBG funds in February 2018 specifically for mitigation activities for qualifying disasters in 2015, 2016, and 2017, and HUD was able to allocate an additional $3.9 billion, bringing the amount available for mitigation to nearly $16 billion.
CDBG-MIT defines mitigation as activities that increase resilience to disasters and reduce or eliminate the long-term risk of loss of life, injury, damage to and loss of property, and suffering and hardship by lessening the impact of future disasters.
CDBG-MIT activities should align with other federal programs that address hazard mitigation to create a more cohesive effort at the federal, state, and local level. These mitigation projects will aim to reduce the risk to community services that benefit human health and safety or economic security, from being severely affected by natural disasters. The level of engagement across partners helps to shape the transformative nature that mitigation projects can have within communities and the lives of constituents.
Goals of CDBG-MIT funds:
- Support data-informed investments, focusing on repetitive loss of property and critical infrastructure;
- Build capacity to comprehensively analyze disaster risks and update hazard mitigation plans;
- Support the adoption of policies that reflect local and regional priorities that will have long-lasting effects on community risk reduction, including risk reduction to community lifelines and decreasing future disaster costs; and
- Maximize the impact of funds by encouraging leverage, private/public partnerships, and coordination with other Federal dollars.
- 2018 CDBG-MIT Notice â€“ 86 FR 561
- CDBG-MIT Main Notice â€“ 84 FR 45838
- CDBG-MIT USVI Notice â€“ 84 FR 47528
- CDBG-MIT PR Notice â€“ 85 FR 4676
- CDBG-MIT Program Resources
Content current as of January 6, 2021.