Fiscal Year 2023 Youth Homelessness System Improvement (YHSI) Grant Program NOFO.
The purpose of the FY23Youth Homelessness System Improvement (YHSI) grants is to support selected communities in either improving existing or establishing and implementing a response system for youth homelessness. The grants will focus on systemic change to either improve or create response systems for youth homelessness by funding projects that create and build capacity for Youth Action Boards; collect and use data on at-risk youth and youth experiencing homelessness; develop strong leaders within a community; and improve the coordination, communication, operation, and administration of homeless assistance projects to better serve youth, including prevention and diversion strategies. Communities may either establish or improve existing response systems for youth homelessness through the following objectives:
- Improve the capacity of youth in the community: Developing peer support models, including training, project design, and implementation; creating Youth Action Board training, including government rules, leadership, and other skills; community training and outreach on how to work with youth and integrate youth leadership in an authentic way.
- Establish partnerships: Bringing together system partners who also work with youth who are living in unstable housing. This could include partnerships with Tribes and cultural organizations in the community, K-12 schools, higher education, juvenile justice, child welfare, employment services, etc.
- Improve the centralized or coordinated assessment system also known as the Coordinated Entry Systems (CES).
- Improve data collection and use between systems that work with youth at-risk of and experiencing homelessness.
- Assess, address, and improve equity in youth homeless response systems.
Funding of approximately $50,000,000 is available through this NOFO HUD expects to make approximately 35 awards from the funds available under this NOFA.
Preference Points: This NOFO offers 0 points.
Program Office: Office of Community Planning and Development
Funding Opportunity Title: FY2023 Youth Homelessness System Improvement (YHSI) Grant Program NOFO
Assistance Listing Number: 14.277
FAIN (FR) Number: FR-6700-N-96
OMB Approval Numbers: 2506-0219
Estimated Opening Date: November 08, 2023
Estimated Deadline Date: February 15, 2024
Agency Contact: Questions regarding specific program requirements for this NOFO should be directed to Nili Soni YHSI@hud.gov . Individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing, or who have speech and other communication disabilities may use a relay service to reach the agency contact. To learn more about how to make an accessible telephone call, visit the webpage for the Federal Communications Commission. Note that HUD staff cannot assist applicants in preparing their applications.