1. Figure out how much you can afford
What you can afford depends on your income, credit rating, current monthly expenses, downpayment and the interest rate.
2. Know your rights
3. Shop for a loan
4. Learn about homebuying programs
- Let FHA help you (FHA loan programs offer lower downpayments and are a good option for first-time homebuyers!)
- HUD's special homebuying programs
5. Shop for a home
6. Make an offer
7. Get a home inspection
8. Shop for homeowners insurance
9. Sign papers
You're finally ready to go to "settlement" or "closing." Be sure to read everything before you sign!