Home / Programs of HUD / Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities
Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities
(Section 811)

Provides assistance to expand the supply of housing with the availability of supportive services for persons with disabilities and promotes and facilities community integration for people with significant and long-term disabilities.

Nature of Program: Capital advances are made to eligible nonprofit sponsors and, in cases of mixed-finance, for-profit limited partnerships the sole general partner of which is (i) is a nonprofit organization; (ii) a for-profit corporation controlled by a nonprofit organization; or (iii) a limited liability company controlled by a nonprofit organization which has a Section 501(c)(3) tax exemption ruling, to finance the development of rental housing with the availability of supportive services for persons with disabilities. The advance is interest free and does not have to be repaid so long as the housing remains available for very low-income persons with disabilities for at least 40 years. Project rental assistance covers the difference between the HUD-approved operating cost of the project and the tenants' contributions toward rent. Section 8 tenant-based assistance is also available, subject to appropriations.

In addition, project rental assistance is available as another method of financing supportive housing for persons with disabilities. This assistance is only available to extremely low-income persons with disabilities and extremely low-income households that include at least one person with a disability.  Funds are provided to state housing finance agencies and other appropriate entities that apply, subject to appropriations.

Applicant Eligibility: Nonprofit organizations with a Section 501(c)(3) IRS tax exemption may qualify for assistance, and may partner with private, for-profit entities so long as the sole general partner is a nonprofit organization that meets the statutory requirements. Occupancy is open to very low-income persons with disabilities who are at least 18 years old and less than 62 years of age.

Legal Authority: Section 811 of the Cranston-Gonzalez National Affordable Housing Act (42 U.S.C. 8013), as amended by the Frank Melville Supportive Housing Investment Act of 2010 (Public Law 111-374). Regulations are at 24 CFR part 891.

Administering Office: Assistant Secretary for Housing-Federal Housing Commissioner,
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, DC 20410-8000.

Information Sources: Administering office and HUD field offices. On the Web.

Current Status: Active.