Home / Groups / HUD Programs
HUD Programs for Colonias and Farmworkers

HUD has a number of grant programs that local organizations can use to serve colonias residents and migrant farmworkers. These grants are awarded on a competitive basis. They are announced annually in HUD's Notice of Funding Availability.

Rural Housing & Economic Development (RHED)
What Is It? The RHED grant program funds activities to build capacity at the state and local level and economic development in rural areas.
Who Can Apply? Rural nonprofits, community development corporations (CDCs), state housing finance agencies (HFAs), state community and/or economic development agencies, and federally recognized Indian tribes.

Self-Help Homeownership Program (SHOP)
What Is It? A sweat equity and volunteer-based homeownership program for low-income persons and families. SHOP provides funds for eligible nonprofit organizations to purchase home sites and develop or improve infrastructure.
Who Can Apply? National and regional non-profit organizations or consortia with experience in using volunteer labor to build housing.

Housing Counseling
What Is It? Housing Counseling grants are offered to agencies to provide advice on buying a home, renting, defaults, foreclosures, credit issues, and reverse mortgages.
Who Can Apply? HUD-approved local housing counseling agencies (LHCAs), HUD-approved national and regional intermediaries, and state housing finance agencies (SHFAs). Learn how to become "HUD-approved."

Fair Housing Initiatives Program (FHIP)
What Is It? FHIP provides assistance to individuals who believe they have been victims of housing discrimination. Grantees identify government agencies that can help and conduct preliminary investigation of claims by sending testers to properties suspected of practicing housing discrimination. There are 3 FHIP initiatives: Fair Housing Organizations Initiative (FHOI), Private Enforcement Initiative (PEI), and the Education and Outreach Initiative (EOI).
Who Can Apply?

  • FHIP-FHOI: Qualified fair housing enforcement organizations with at least two years of experience in complaint intake, complaint investigation, testing for fair housing violations, and meritorious claims in the three years prior to the filing of their application.
  • FHIP-PEI: Fair housing enforcement organizations that meet certain requirements related to the length and quality of previous fair housing enforcement experience.
  • FHIP-EOI: State or local governments, qualified fair housing enforcement organizations (those with at least 2 years of experience), other fair housing organizations, and other public or private nonprofit organizations representing groups of persons protected by the Fair Housing Act.

Section 202 Supportive Housing for the Elderly
What Is It? This program is designed to increase the supply of affordable housing with supportive services for low-income elderly. The goal is to allow them to live independently, but in an environment that provides support activities such as cleaning and cooking.
Who Can Apply? Private non-profit organizations that can, among other requirements, submit a resolution that they will provide a minimum capital investment equal to 0.5 percent of the HUD-approved capital advance, up to a maximum of $25,000 for national sponsors or $10,000 for other sponsors. Public entities are not eligible for funding under this program.

Section 811 Supportive Housing for Persons With Disabilities
What Is It? Section 811 allows very low-income adults with disabilities to live as independently as possible by increasing the supply of rental housing that provides supportive services. HUD provides advanced interest-free capital to nonprofit sponsors to help them finance the development of rental housing with supportive services for persons with disabilities.
Who Can Apply? Non-profit organizations with a Section 501(c)(3) tax exemption from the IRS that can also submit a resolution that a minimum capital investment equal to 0.5 percent of the capital advance amount, up to a maximum of $10,000 will be provided.

Housing Opportunities for Persons With Aids (HOPWA)
What Is It? Addresses the needs of persons living with HIV/AIDS and their families. Grant projects must benefit low-income persons medically diagnosed with HIV/AIDS. HOPWA funding can also provide housing assistance and related supportive services. Funds are awarded from one of three HOPWA programs: the Formula Program, Competitive Program and the National Technical Assistance Funds
Who Can Apply? Local communities, states and nonprofit organizations.

Lead-Based Paint Hazard Control Grant Program
What Is It? Aims to reduce the exposure of young children to lead-based paint hazards in their homes - whether homes are privately-owned, low income owner-occupied or rental housing. Evaluation and hazard control activities must be conducted by trained and/or certified individuals. Grants are managed by the state or local government entity. Grantees frequently partner with local community-based organizations to accomplish program activities.

Family Self-Sufficiency Program (FSS)
What Is It? Encourages communities to develop local strategies to help assisted families who receive Section 8 housing vouchers obtain employment that will lead to economic independence and self-sufficiency. Public Housing Authorities (PHAs) work with welfare agencies, schools, business, and other local partners to develop a comprehensive program for FSS participants. Families that are selected to receive a voucher or who currently receive assistance through the housing choice voucher programs should discuss participation in the FSS program with their local PHA.

Resident Opportunities for Self-Sufficiency (ROSS)
What Is It? Links public housing residents with services and resident empowerment activities to assist residents in becoming economically self-sufficient. ROSS incorporates three basic funding categories: Technical Assistance/Training Support for Resident Organization, Resident Service Delivery Models, and Service Coordinators.
Who Can Apply? Public housing agencies, site-based resident associations, intermediary resident organizations, and non-profit entities operating as association or networks that administer programs benefiting public and assisted housing residents.