Home / FAQs / Renting

Where can I get rental help?

  • Visit the “Rental Help” page for your state for information about HUD-subsidized apartments and links to your local public housing authority.
  • Contact one of the housing counseling agencies listed on that page. They can help you sort through your options.
  • Read our Renter's kit.
  • Contact your local government's office of housing and community development or your mayor's office to see if there are any local rental programs that might be right for you.

How can I get into HUD housing?

Answer: HUD doesn't actually own rental housing. We do provide funding to support several rental assistance programs. Read all about them in our "Renter's Kit".

How can I apply for a Section 8 housing voucher?

Answer: To apply for public housing or Housing Choice (Section 8) vouchers, you will need to visit your local public housing authority. Many have long waiting lists, so you may want to apply at more than one public housing authority.

Can I take my Section 8 voucher with me when I move to another city?

Answer: Yes, that is possible. But you'll need to contact both your current and your future public housing authority to work out the details.

Where can I find someone who will let me use my voucher to rent a place to live?

Answer: Your public housing authority should have a list of landlords who are willing to take Housing Choice vouchers.

How can I rent my home to a tenant with a Section 8 voucher?

Answer: You'll need to contact your local public housing agency to find out how to rent to Section 8 tenants in your area.

Are there other agencies that offer rental assistance?

Answer: Yes. In rural communities, the Department of Agriculture provides rental assistance programs, home improvement and repair loans and grants, and self-help housing loans to low income individuals and families. To apply, visit the Rural Housing Service website or contact your local Rural Development office (check the Federal Government section of your telephone book).

I'm a senior citizen on a fixed income, how can HUD help me keep my home, find low-cost housing, or assisted living?

Answer: We have lots of information about living choices for senior citizens. HUD-approved housing counseling housing counseling agencies can help you think through your options. Contact one near you.

What kind of housing help does HUD offer for people with physical disabilities?

Answer: Read about housing choices for people with disabilities, including information on subsidized apartments and independent living centers. You also may want to contact one of the HUD-approved housing counseling agencies in your area.

More information about renting.