Home / FAQs / Homeowning

I'm a senior citizen on a fixed income. How can HUD help me keep my home or find low-cost housing or assisted living?

Answer: We have lots of information about living choices for senior citizens. HUD-approved housing counseling agencies can help you think through your options. Contact one near you.

How do reverse mortgages work and how can I get one?

Answer: We have lots of information about reverse mortgages - including information on how to avoid scams. If you decide you want to pursue a reverse mortgage, we have a list of approved lenders who can help you.

More frequently asked questions about reverse mortgages.

Does HUD have grants or loans that could help me make some home improvements. ?

Answer: Read our home improvements section. You'll find out about the federal programs that are available, as well as some tips on making home improvements.

What rules and guidelines apply in refinancing the mortgage on my house with "FHA streamline refinance?"

Answer: If you currently have an FHA-insured loan, you may be eligible for an FHA streamline refinance. The word "streamline" refers to the amount of documentation and underwriting that needs to be performed by the lender. Depending on the lender, there may be other advantages. Find out more about the requirements of streamline refinancing.

As a homeowner, where can I get information about environmental issues that might have impact on my home and community?

Answer: We offer information about topics like air pollution, flood insurance and aquifers, lead paint hazards, and ways to make your home a "healthy home".