Home / FHEO Home / File a Complaint – Main Page
File a Complaint

How to File a Complaint


You can file a complaint with FHEO online in English or Spanish.


You can download this form (also available in Arabic, Cambodian, Chinese, Korean, Russian, Somali, Spanish, and Vietnamese) and email it to your local FHEO office at the email address on this list.



You can speak with an FHEO intake specialist by calling 1-800-669-9777 or TTY: 1-800-877-8339.

You can also call your regional FHEO office at the phone numbers on this list.


You can print out this form (also available in Arabic, Cambodian, Chinese, Korean, Russian, Somali, Spanish, and Vietnamese) and mail it to your regional FHEO office at the address on this list.

Information About Filing a Complaint

If you believe your rights may have been violated, we encourage you to submit a complaint.

Because there are time limits on when a complaint can be filed with HUD after an alleged violation, you should submit a complaint as soon as possible.

When submitting a complaint, please provide as much information as possible, including:

  • Your name and address;
  • The name and address of the person(s) or organization your complaint is against;
  • The address or other identification of the housing or program involved;
  • A short description of the event(s) that cause you to believe your rights were violated; and
  • The date(s) of the alleged violation.

Privacy Statement: The information submitted to HUD may be used to investigate and process claims of housing and other types of discrimination. It may be disclosed for lawful investigatory purposes, including to the U.S. Department of Justice for its use in the filing of pattern and practice suits of housing discrimination or the prosecution of the person(s) who committed the discrimination where violence is involved; the public, where appropriate; and to State or local fair housing agencies that administer substantially equivalent fair housing laws for complaint processing. Though disclosure of the information is voluntary, failure to provide some or all of the requested information may result in the delay or denial of help with your housing discrimination complaint.

Retaliation Is Illegal

It is illegal to retaliate against any person for making a complaint, testifying, assisting, or participating in any manner in a proceeding under HUD’s complaint process at any time, even after the investigation has been completed. The Fair Housing Act also makes it illegal to retaliate against any person because that person reported a discriminatory practice to a housing provider or other authority. If you believe you have experienced retaliation, you can file a complaint.

Assistance for Persons with Disabilities

HUD provides a toll-free teletypewriter (TTY) line: 1-800-877-8339. You can also ask for disability-related assistance when you contact FHEO, including reasonable accommodations and auxiliary aids and services.

Assistance for Persons with Limited English Proficiency

You can file a complaint in any language. For persons with limited English proficiency, HUD provides interpreters. HUD also provides a Spanish language version of the online housing complaint form. You can find descriptions of your fair housing rights in several languages other than English here.

Types of Complaints Investigated by FHEO

FHEO investigates complaints, which may be one or both of the following types:

  • Discrimination under the Fair Housing Act (including housing that is privately owned and operated)
  • Discrimination and other civil rights violations in housing and community development programs, including those funded by HUD
Complaints Involving Discrimination under the Fair Housing Act

How Your Rights May Have Been Violated

Discrimination in renting or buying a home, getting a mortgage, seeking housing assistance, or engaging in other housing-related activities

Applicable Law and Protected Classes

Fair Housing Act (race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), familial status, disability)

Who May File a Complaint

Anyone who has been or will be harmed by a discriminatory housing practice

Who May Have a Complaint Filed Against Them

Property owners, property managers, developers, real estate agents, mortgage lenders, homeowners associations, insurance providers, and others who affect housing opportunities

Complaints Involving Discrimination in Housing and Community Development Programs

How Your Rights May Have Been Violated

Discrimination and other violations of civil rights in HUD programs (for example, failure to ensure meaningful access by persons with limited English proficiency)

Applicable Laws and Protected Classes

Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (race, color, national origin); Section 109 of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974 (race, color, national origin, religion, sex); Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (disability); Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (disability); Architectural Barriers Act of 1968 (disability); Age Discrimination Act of 1975 (age); Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 (sex)

Who May File a Complaint


Who May Have a Complaint Filed Against Them

Any recipient or subrecipient of HUD financial assistance, States, local governments, and private entities operating housing and community development and other types of services, programs, or activities


Additional Resources