Home / Coronavirus / COVID-19: Resources for Renters
COVID-19 Resources for Renters


The CDC has put a temporary halt on residential evictions to prevent the further spread of COVID-19.The CDC has put a temporary halt on residential evictions to prevent the further spread of COVID-19. Read more about the CDC order below.



On this page


Down arrowShould you still pay rent during the COVID-19 pandemic?

Down arrowAre you struggling to pay rent?

Down arrowAre you facing eviction because you can't pay rent?

Down arrowBe aware of scams

Down arrowAdditional resources for renters



Resources for renters

The Consumer Finance Protection Bureau (CFPB) provides resources from across the government to help you during the coronavirus pandemic. Visit the CFPB website to learn more.

Get free housing advice

HUD-certified housing counselors are available to help you with your housing situation, discuss your options, and direct you to other local resources.

Call 1-800-569-4287 or find a housing counselor.




Yes. Rent payments are still due. If your income has gone down or COVID-19 has affected your financial situation and made it hard to pay rent, contact your landlord right away. Reach out early to discuss your potential options for relief. You may be eligible for financial assistance through a state or local program, or your landlord may know of other helpful resources.




Communicate with your landlord

If you’re having trouble paying rent, contact your landlord as soon as possible to discuss your payment options. Here are some tips for talking with your landlord:

  • Be open about your financial situation. Share how your income has been affected by COVID-19 or other difficulties. You shouldn’t be required to provide financial documents as proof.
  • Be clear about your needs and keep in mind your landlord may be struggling financially too.
  • Mention any resources and options you’ve found that could be helpful.
  • Explain how your family would be impacted by a loss of housing, even if temporary.
  • Ask for flexible payment arrangements or payment plans.
  • Keep a written record of your conversations, including any email and text conversations. Keep track of the date and time you spoke.


Find rental assistance


Get help with your rent

If you need help paying rent, your state and local programs may be able to help. The U.S. Department of the Treasury has gathered websites of Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) programs which help tenants and landlords find rental assistance. If you cannot find any program in your area, call 211 or find other rental assistance programs in your state.


Learn about income recertification if you live in HUD-assisted (public) housing or receive HUD housing vouchers

If you get rental help from HUD, you can report any decreases in wages, job hours, and family income (a process called “income recertification”). Reporting this information can temporarily decrease income-based rent payments or increase housing subsidies.

Ask for "income recertification" from your property manager or landlord as soon as possible. Talk to them to learn how to certify your income and if any change in rent could be applied to previous months. Federal stimulus payments are not included in your income calculation.




Find state or local protections

Your state may have placed limitations on evictions. Visit the Eviction Lab, a non-profit organization, to learn about state or local eviction protections.


Learn about the CDC eviction moratorium

If you are unable to pay your rent, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) order may protect you from being evicted. This means, if you qualify, you may be able to stay at the place where you live for the time being.

Things to know about the CDC eviction moratorium or “halt”:

  • You must qualify and give a declaration or statement to your landlord. The CDC has provided a declaration form that you can use (below). The qualifications you must meet are listed in the form. Be honest and truthful. By signing this form, you certify you are telling the truth under penalty of perjury. This means that any false or misleading statements or omissions may result in criminal and civil actions for fines, penalties, damages, or imprisonment.
  • You only need to submit the form once. This order has been extended. If you have already submitted this form, you don’t have to do it again.
  • You still owe your rent. You must pay any rent that is past due when the protection period ends. Talk to your housing provider or landlord about a repayment plan. If you can, pay your rent or make partial rent payments.
  • You can be charged extra fees or penalties for being late on your rent.
  • It only protects you from being evicted for not paying rent. You still need to follow all the other terms of your lease and rules of where you live. You can be evicted for other legal reasons.

Find more answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) in CDC’s Temporary Halt in Evictions FAQ (PDF).


CDC Order: Resident Declaration Form

You must sign a declaration form and give it to your landlord to prevent eviction under the CDC order.

Declaration Form – English (PDF)

Declaration form in alternative languages:


Note: The CDC order is separate from the expired CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security) Act eviction moratorium, which began on March 27, 2020 and ended on July 24, 2020. Most CARES Act protections have expired. But if your landlord is trying to collect fees or evict you for unpaid rent or fees charged between March 27 and July 24, 2020, you may have some protections. Learn more about CARES Act protections on the CFPB website.



Scam artists often offer fake help to people in crises. They do this to steal your money or personal information. Always check the legitimacy of offers and don’t feel pressured to “take immediate action.” The best way to protect yourself is to say “no” if anyone contacts you and asks for your personal information such as your Social Security, bank account, Medicare ID, or driver’s license numbers.

Learn about COVID-19 scams on CFPB's website. This includes scams on the COVID-19 vaccine, fake charities, false unemployment claims, and people posing as someone in need, among other types of fraud.




  • Housing discrimination: Federal law prohibits housing discrimination based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status, or disability. If you have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and you believe your rights have been violated, you can file a fair housing complaint.
  • Housing Choice Vouchers: File a Housing Choice Voucher complaint by calling 1-800-955-2232 or sending an email to Public Housing’s Customer Service at HUD-PIHRC@tngusa.net.
  • Bad landlords in federal housing: Many landlords have been fined or prevented from doing business with the federal government because they failed to provide safe and decent housing for the poor, while benefiting from taxpayer funds. Find out how to report a bad landlord.
  • Fraud, waste, and abuse: If you are aware of fraud, waste, and abuse in HUD programs and operations, report it to HUD’s Inspector General Hotline.



Find more help and resources >



Page last updated: June 25, 2021