CDC Eviction Moratorium
On September 4, 2020, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued an order banning evictions for certain renters through December 31, 2020. The CDC is issuing the eviction moratorium to protect public health and prevent further spread of COVID-19. The order is separate and independent from the expired CARES Act eviction moratorium.
- Federal Register Notice and Order
- Resident Declaration Form
- â€‹HHS/CDC FAQs (October 9, 2020)
- HUD PIH FAQs (October 19, 2020)
- HUD PIH Tenant Flyer is coming soon!
Eviction Prevention and Stability Toolkit
Building on innovative practices from PHAs around the country and existing HUD guidance, this toolkit offers information and resources to PHAs and HCV landlords on ways to stabilize families during and after COVID-19. The toolkit includes the following eight attachments:
- Attachment 1: PHA Brochure contains information on permitting repayment agreements and updating repayment agreement policies, adopting policies for retroactive interim reexaminations, directing outreach to households behind on rent, reviewing policies on minimum rent and financial hardship exemptions, and positioning residents for stability during and after COVID-19.
- Attachment 2: Tenant Brochure can be distributed to tenants to prevent eviction for non-payment of rent as the end of the eviction moratorium approaches. There are also helpful updates on COVID-19 information and safety concerns, Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) protections, and resources related to tenant needs.
- Attachment 3: Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Landlord Flyer can be shared with HCV landlords to encourage them to coordinate with the PHA and engage with their tenants before the end of the eviction moratorium. The flyer also encourages landlords to set up a repayment agreement if the household cannot repay unpaid rent in a lump sum by July 24, 2020.
- Attachment 4: Repayment Agreement Guidance centralizes HUD guidance on repayment agreements for PHAs and HCV landlords.
- Attachment 5, Attachment 6, and Attachment 7: Examples of Repayment Agreements from PHAs. Attachment 5 and 6 are sample repayment agreements for public housing participants. Attachment 7 is a sample repayment agreement from an HCV Only Agency.
- Attachment 8: COVID-19 Resident Needs Assessment Survey created by Urban Strategies, Inc., can be used to identify resident needs and potential reasons for nonpayment of rent. It is intended to be used to facilitate a one-on-one conversation with the household (e.g., by phone, in-person, or other direct communication).
- HUD Eviction Prevention and Stability Toolkit (July 8, 2020)
- COVID-19 Quick Guide
- COVID-19 Interaction Playbook for Housing Partners (*Note: Google Chrome is preferred web browser to view this document.)
- COVID-19 Guidance for Housing Partners
- Coronavirus Prevention Flyer
- PHA Disaster Readiness and Preparation Guide
- PIH Notice 2020-18: CARES Act â€“ HCV Program Administrative Fees â€“ Second Award (July 31, 2020)
- PIH Notice 2020-17: CARES Act â€“ Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) Supplemental Funding (July 31, 2020)
- PIH Notice 2020-16: Implementation of Public Housing Operating Fund Shortfall Funding from Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2020 Appropriations (July 28, 2020)
- PIH Notice 2020-08: CARES Act â€“ HCV Program Administrative Fees (April 28, 2020)
- PIH Notice 2020-07: Implementation of Supplemental Guidance to the Federal Fiscal Year 2020 Operating Fund Appropriations (April 28, 2020)
- PIH Notice 2020-05: COVID-19 Statutory and Regulatory Waivers (April 10, 2020)
(*NOTE: The FAQs for the eviction moratorium have been updated. Please refer to the most recent version of FAQs for Public Housing Agencies)
- HUD PIH FAQs (October 19, 2020)
- Frequently Asked Questions for Public Housing Agencies (September 29, 2020)
- Frequently Asked Questions for Public Housing Agencies (July 16, 2020)
- Frequently Asked Questions for Public Housing Agencies (May 29, 2020)
- Frequently Asked Questions for Tribes and Tribally Designated Housing Entities (TDHEs) (May 11th, 2020)
- Frequently Asked Questions (April 22, 2020)
- Frequently Asked Questions (March 30, 2020)
- Frequently Asked Questions for Tribes and Tribally Designated Housing Entities (TDHEs) (March 30, 2020)
- Frequently Asked Questions (March 13, 2020)
Letters from HUD