HUD regulates the construction of certain factory built homes, called "manufactured homes." We used to call them "mobile homes." Be sure to read our Manufactured Homes Consumers Guide.
If you have a problem with your manufactured home, the first thing you should do is contact the business who sold you the home or the manufacturer that produced the home, to try to resolve the problem. If that fails, you can file a complaint. Include a description of the problem, along with copies of any correspondence or contacts with the retailer and the manufacturer to resolve the problem. Also include:
- Your name, address and a telephone number where you can be reached during the day;
- The name of the manufacturer;
- The serial number and model number of your home;
- The label number (the red tag on the back of the home);
- The date purchased; and
- The name of the business who sold you the home.
Send your complaint to your State Administrative Agency or, if your state doesn’t have such an agency, send it to:
Manufactured Housing and Standards Division
Office of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs
Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th St. SW, Room 9152
Washington, D.C. 20410-8000
If you have questions, call toll free 1-800-927-2891.